single curve – matrix best bet?

Home Forums General Discussion single curve – matrix best bet?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Milehigh
    Participant

Not sure what to use, but I read that the XYZ LUT + Matrix can cause some issues.  I do a lot of photo editing in LR and PS, and also web browsing.  Should I calibrate with the single curve + matrix setting?

I ran one with XYZ, and I’m seeing some colored banding in a gray ramp.  Also seeing it with i1 Profiler software using table based.

Milehigh
    Participant

Well, I see this enables black point comp by default.  I didn’t think that was a good thing to use?  Maybe I should just stick with the default XYZ LUT + Matrix?

MW
    Participant

and I’m seeing some colored banding in a gray ramp

In Photoshop or Firefox? I’m not sure you can solve Firefox, at least on my system I’ve got banding with color management enabled.

You can always uncheck BPC for Matrix profiles. You can also regenerate an existing XYZLUT profile as Matrix with File-Create profile from measurement data.

Milehigh
    Participant

I was looking at some test patterns in Firefox, but I believe when I looked into this in the past, I was also seeing it in windows apps.  I think the XYZ LUT+matrix I have is pretty decent.  A gray ramp shows some slight discolorations, and very slight banding, but I haven’t noticed any issues when editing photos.  I guess I’d rather have the best color accuracy I can get, so maybe this is the way to go?  I did notice the Displaycal defaults to the LUT+matrix profile, so I’m assuming that’s what the developers recommend for most people?  I ran the checker afterwards, and the results are good.

Also, this is on my laptop, which I think has a nice screen (Lenovo Legion 5), but it still might not be as good as a regular monitor.   I’m about to get an Asus Proart monitor, so we’ll see how that cal goes.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS