Simulate Rec709 curve?

Home Forums Help and Support Simulate Rec709 curve?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

DisplayTroy
    Participant

I am a new user and had sort of an interesting question, i attempted to search for an answer to this but I am not sure its even a thing.

Is there a way to calibrate the monitor to mimic the effect of having a rec709 gamma curve?

I have a Dell U3014 and the Dell Ultrasharp calibration software seems to have an option for this, using that software to calibrate seems to produce the desired effect.

I attempted just changing the tone curve in DisplayCal and calibrate that way however the results were sort of the opposite of what I was expecting. I honestly dont know if the tone curve is supposed to represent the native gamma of the monitor or if it is a selection that allows you to mimic other sort of curves.

I wanted to mimic Rec709 so i was simulating the display of a Television on my computer monitor (generally speaking).

In my first attempt to calibrate in such a manner i just set the Tone curve to rec709 assuming it would just mimic that, however when I did the ‘verification’ tests DeltaE was way off. All of my other attempts of calibration with the proper sRGB setting used for this monitor results in really great calibrations. Assuming that mimicing rec709 is possible how do I verify the calibration? Is it the same method as normal?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

I wanted to mimic Rec709 so i was simulating the display of a Television on my computer monitor (generally speaking).

Note that the Rec. 709 tone curve is a pure encoding (“camera”) curve. For viewing video material, use Rec. 1886.

however when I did the ‘verification’ tests DeltaE was way off.

What kind of test did you run? If you just calibrated (and not profiled) your display, then gamut correction is not possible for color managed applications.

DisplayTroy
    Participant

Hey Florian thank you for replying,

I did not know that, thank you (the rec 1886 info).

My calibration/profiling info is as follows:

Instrument: I1 DisplayPro

Correction: Matrix : Xrite i1 display pro & Dell U3014

Interactive Dispaly Adjustment : yes

Whitepoint: 6500 Daylight

White level: 120 nits

Black level: as measured

Tone Curve: rec 709

Speed : high

Profile type XYZ LUT + matrix

Test Chart : Auto Optimized , Patches 2060

For verification I used ‘Extra Large Verification test chart’ 490 patches (not video) which showed delta ranges being off significantly.

Sadly i dont have the verification file available, but the deltaE on colors were up to 11.00. Maybe I have set this up wrong? I would love to calibrate my monitor to simulate the appearance of a TV using rec 1886 if possible. If this is enough info to figure out what I did wrong, great. Otherwise I can do a calibration later today and append the file.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Make sure you didn’t enable “Use simulation profile as target profile” on the “Verification” tab.

DisplayTroy
    Participant

I am calibrating right now testing things, everything seems to be working fine, not sure how I messed it up so bad previously.

If I calibrate to 1886 and I was to be editing video or images through Natron/fusion/etc, my viewport color process would be 709 to match my monitor calibration?

Thanks for all the help btw.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

If I calibrate to 1886 and I was to be editing video or images through Natron/fusion/etc, my viewport color process would be 709 to match my monitor calibration?

I’m not familiar with these programs, but video related color management usually relies on text-based 3D LUT formats instead of ICC profiles.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS