Show Clipping of Specific Gamut ?

Home Forums General Discussion Show Clipping of Specific Gamut ?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Christopher
    Participant

Rather then globally turning on HDR within Windows, is there software which will turn on HDR when run and turn it off when closed ?

As well, I know that Rec2020 is new but anyone know how I can compare what was clipped from the image based on how much of the gamut the monitor can display of Rec2020 ? In other words, if the monitor can display 84% of Rec2020; the software would show what was clipped of that 15% to which the monitor could not show ?

Vincent
    Participant

Reply To: Calibrating either DisplayCAL or Monitor Software ?

“HDR in” for display requires that signal is encoded in a special way. HDR in Windows makes that. Maybe there is an app that makes such changes on OS when opening some content and reverting when closed, but IDNK it.
    If you use HDR in OS and monitor accepts HDR, clipping happens INSIDE monitor electronics and you have zero control over it… unless you can use some kind of HDR HW calibration that is unlikely to exist for no pro models.

If you want to manage HDR in software you must do as instructed in that thread. Display OSD HDR off, Windows HDR off, profile display at native gamut (but configuired to accpet SDR signal), make a LUT3D from rec2020 to display profile, load it in compatible software like madVR. madVR compatible players will detect HDR content and choose proper HDR LUT3D instead of Rec709 LUT3D.

Regarding custom out of gamut color for software LUT3D, AFAIK it is not supported for ArgyllCMS, although it was a request soem time ago.
    For built in Rec2020 to panel capabilities LUT3D in HW while using display’s HDR mode factory calibration, manufacturer needs to support it. If not advertised, just clipping (or tone mapping), you’ll have no clue about out of gamut colors.
    Some CG-X Eizos have that feature and it is builtin in factory calibration.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Vincent.

Christopher
    Participant

It’s unfortunate that you can’t know what clipping occurs depending on how many nits of Luminance the image for example was created in, and how many nits the monitor is capable of displaying.

If I want to manage HDR, I must turn off HDR for the OSD as well as Windows.  I don’t understand what you meant by the following in DisplayCAL;

profile display at native gamut (but configuired to accpet SDR signal), make a LUT3D from rec2020 to display profile, load it in compatible software like madVR. madVR compatible players will detect HDR content and choose proper HDR LUT3D instead of Rec709 LUT3D

For built in Rec2020 to panel capabilities LUT3D in HW while using display’s HDR mode factory calibration, manufacturer needs to support it.

How do you know if the display supports it ?

Vincent
    Participant

It’s unfortunate that you can’t know what clipping occurs depending on how many nits of Luminance the image for example was created in, and how many nits the monitor is capable of displaying.

If I want to manage HDR, I must turn off HDR for the OSD as well as Windows.  I don’t understand what you meant by the following in DisplayCAL;

profile display at native gamut (but configuired to accpet SDR signal), make a LUT3D from rec2020 to display profile, load it in compatible software like madVR. madVR compatible players will detect HDR content and choose proper HDR LUT3D instead of Rec709 LUT3D

Thank means making a LUT3D from Rec2020 HDR content to a widegamut SDR panel capabilities. The same it’s running on most HDR “compatible” displays, but in software.

For built in Rec2020 to panel capabilities LUT3D in HW while using display’s HDR mode factory calibration, manufacturer needs to support it.

How do you know if the display supports it ?

If it supports out of gamut markers it should be on manual, even in brochure. If you do not know if it supports it it’s very likely it does not

Christopher
    Participant

Thank means making a LUT3D from Rec2020 HDR content to a widegamut SDR panel capabilities. The same it’s running on most HDR “compatible” displays, but in software.

How do you do this ?

If it supports out of gamut markers it should be on manual, even in brochure. If you do not know if it supports it it’s very likely it does not

What if it does, but isn’t mentioned; is there any way to verify ?

Vincent
    Participant

How do you do this ?

DisplayCAL LUT3D creator or ArgyllCMS command line (https://www.argyllcms.com/doc/collink.html). Read documentation.

What if it does, but isn’t mentioned; is there any way to verify ?

Choose a Rec2020 color out of display EDID boundaries and a few ones in gamut, create a video clip with that colors as bars, use a HDR compatible player to send that video to display in HDR mode active in OSD.

But if it was supported… it needs to be configurable, otherwise out of gamut color mark is useless on some scenes… hence it should be on manual. If it is not on manual your display has not that feature.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by Vincent.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by Vincent.

Christopher
    Participant

Choose a Rec2020 color out of display EDID boundaries and a few ones in gamut, create a video clip with that colors as bars, use a HDR compatible player to send that video to display in HDR mode active in OSD.

But if it was supported… it needs to be configurable, otherwise out of gamut color mark is useless on some scenes… hence it should be on manual. If it is not on manual your display has not that feature.

By using DisplayCAL3D creator or ArgyllCMS I’m taking Rec2020 from the display then creating a video clip with bars and testing that on a HDR compatible player, then sending that to a display in HDR ?

Vincent
    Participant

By using DisplayCAL3D creator or ArgyllCMS I’m taking Rec2020 from the display then creating a video clip with bars and testing that on a HDR compatible player, then sending that to a display in HDR ?

No, the opposite. Rec2020 is in the clip, “encoded”, not in display. Then you send it to display with HDR mode enabled along all the data path (player, OSD) and see what happens on display where is placed that Rec2020 color that your display cannot show.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS