Should I bother with 3D lut?

Home Forums General Discussion Should I bother with 3D lut?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Mihle
    Participant

Should I bother with 3D lut in Resolve and the time it takes when the video is only going to be watched on the internet OR on a PC anyway? And its very hobbyist?

AstralStorm
    Participant

It’s not like making a 3DLUT takes a lot of time – about the same as 1DLUT. And unless you have a 1D LUT applied already on a decently behaved screen you do not even know how off your screen is.

Mihle
    Participant

I do have an ICC profile and stuff for photography programs.

Its less abut the actual time it takes for the thing to run and more about the time it takes to read about what different settings does and what to put them on and so on.

AstralStorm
    Participant

Oh, that part is rather easy, source color space is the colorspace of input. Besides that, there’s the data format – usually full RGB to full RGB for just correction. The others are for simulation in mastering.

Output format depends on the application you use. For games or uploading to a pro monitor, Reshade or the other png. For Photoshop and most graphics apps, ICC device link profile. Madvr for video players has its own. (But watch out which version of madvr you use, newest one is incompatible.)

For ST 2084 you have also the rolloff vs hard clip – this is for tone mapping, clip is more accurate but less smooth at the gamut edges and cannot discern colors beyond gamut at all. The content colorspace determines what will be clipped and where rolloff starts. This should be set to the part of the ST 2084 you use or is actually used in video, typically DCI-P3.
    The brightness you specify is the maximum brightness of your monitor you want to use. Do not set higher than what your monitor can show. The mastering brightness is almost always 10000 cd/m^2 for ST 2084, only a few game engines use something different like 1000 or 2000 cd/m^2 (Unreal Engine specifically in its HDR mode.)

For SDR, usual choice is Either BT.709 w/ gamma 2.2 and input offset, or BT.1886.
    For HDR, it’s almost always ST 2084 with 10000 cd/m^2 target, and more rarely HLG.

For many screens, 3DLUT is essential if your screen tries to emulate gamut. You can check for that with HCFR app – run saturation check, if you see a “bend” in the color curve your screen has its own gamut mapping function.

Mihle
    Participant

If I did a normal calibration and profiling for ICC profile for photography, will making a 3D lut for Resolve affect that?
    Also, isnt profiiling of monitor creating an ICC, then why is it an option in 3D lut place too?
    What you you mean my the madVR thing?

Check the create 3d LUT after profiling or not?
    Source colour space/Input, aka that of the camera? how do I know that? Do all cameras or whatever just use Rec709 or what?
    I think .cube is resolve.
    Whats the difference between ICC and png/Reshade, do I need both depending on the program or what?

This was the result when verdification on the normal Calibration/profiling:

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by Mihle.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by Mihle.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

AstralStorm
    Participant

3DLUT is separate, the only two options from 1DLUT that affect it are Apply vcgt option (video card gamma table) – I think Resolve may have a box to reset GPU gamma – if you pick that your 3DLUT needs this checked, otherwise the opposite and have the 1D profile applied.

The other is black point compensation, which will reduce quality of the 3DLUT slightly if you use the vcgt.

The source gamut is not of the camera. It’s the colorspace Resolve uses if you’re going for correction only. This is probably ACES or ACEScg but might be selectable in Resolve. I’m not a colorist so I don’t know the tool. The content colorspace is what you will use as target when making the video. E.g. if it’s HDR/Wide Gamut, it will be DCI-P3 most likely, if it’s SDR it will be BT.709 or BT.1886.

Alternatively (I don’t know Resolve) the source is exactly what you want the output to be, if Resolve does tone mapping for you.

The SDR 3DLUT will make your wide gamut screen look like normal gamut, for grading purposes. The HDR one will just correct things more accurately.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by AstralStorm.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by AstralStorm.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS