SHARE: A reply from X-Rite: i1Display Pro + Projection

Home Forums General Discussion SHARE: A reply from X-Rite: i1Display Pro + Projection

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Manuel Weber
    Participant

I’d like to deposit a reply from X-Rite:
    i1Display Pro + Projection, Basic Setup Question

Please try the following to set up the i1 Display Pro to calibrate your projector and screen.

Place the i1 Display Pro on a tripod (there is a handy tripod screw attachment on the base of the device).

Place the tripod and i1 Display Pro in front of the projector screen at a distance of 1.5 times the height of the projected image away from the screen, with the device’s lens pointing towards the centre of the screen.

Adjust the height of the device on the tripod so it shows up as a shadow at the base of the projected image on the screen. Adjust the device’s angle so it point towards the centre of the screen and run the calibration.

This should give then ideal positioning and accurate calibration.

Kind regards

On behalf of X-Rite Photo Europe

Ashley Bowman

Greets
    Manu

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

donald24
    Participant

Thanks Manu,

does somebody know, how to calibrate a pj with the i1 display pro facing the projector? As long as I do not have a greyscreen, and a natural reflecting screen, it should provide accurate color-readings. That should speed up the readings!!

I’ve read on a forum, that you should use your diffusor of the i1, when measuring that way, because of harming your sensor.

But when I try to calibrate with diffusor on sensor, I get a warning that the diffusor isn’t in the right position and cannot continue…

Thanks!!

Manuel Weber
    Participant

I’m not sure there is the ‘ideal’ 1:1 screen compared to the sensor’s diffusor, even if at gain 1. how do you know?

m

donald24
    Participant

I’m not sure, if you’ve understood, what I meant.

I would like to calibrate my projector not on the screen via reflective, but directly facing the bulb (obviously because of speed during the measurement AND accuracy in the lower IRE.

The only downside to this, is that you take out the screen out of the measurement chain. Later on in the workflow you can compare the results via reflective readings, if you want.

I found out now, what I am missing. The device needs to be set to “ambient” reading mode, but  I could not find an option for that anywhere in DisplayCAL. It seems not to be supported.

Manuel Weber
    Participant

Yes I understand your arguement. Of course its more accurate, too, but the question is: What does it say, because you’d need a surface that reflects the colors relative-correct the way you look into the light source, and since you know, that only a mirror will reflect 1:1 then I think at least consider this (without being an expert myself).

I think it would be wise wo ask a manufacter, how their surfaces reflect the characteristics of a source. (would mean to get a kind of a “profile” for that screen).

That is my question… yet, this is based only on my experience with different cinema screens and their behaviour, I know that results can vary greatly. (meaning learning-by-doing sort of…)

BTW, well if you’re able to calculate the characteristics of a screen against the one of a projector (viewed into lens), then this would be accurate, I guess. Correct me if this was your idea…

as for the “ambient” mode, I cannot help you. I believe it is an “extra” feature to counter-calibrate on a perception principle, to the surrounding of a monitor (other bulps in the room). I think I remember once I did it and it was more a two-step calibration, in addition to the normal direct-on-device one. I only choose my gamma since.

wishes
    m

• This reply was modified 7 years, 5 months ago by Manuel Weber.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS