Settings for Dell U2520D

Home Forums Help and Support Settings for Dell U2520D

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Papayaman
    Participant

Hi. I am new to calibrating but think I atleast got the basics.
    For a Dell U2520D should I use the “LCD White LED family” or “LCD PFS Phosphor WLED Family” correction?
    Using a Calibrite Colorchecker Display for now but will get the Colorchecker Display Pro next week.

Dell specs say W-LED but afaik this is a wide gamut monitor so I’m unsure about this one.

Best regards.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon   Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

Take a look at (ArgyllCMS command line “specplot myfilename.ccss”)
    https://colorimetercorrections.displaycal.net/hash/5db7b27d7f9b4bdbb99fd78adaf8c1be/Dell%2C%20DELL%20U2520D%20by%204KM%20%28i1%20Pro%202%29.ccss

Looks like a 95% P3 WLED PFS phosphor => bundled “Panasonic VVX17P051J00.ccss” in DisplayCAL, “Panasonic VVX17P051J00.edr” (PFS phosphor) in Xrite software.
    You can use this user made CCSS too.

Dell specs say W-LED but afaik this is a wide gamut monitor so I’m unsure about this one.

Unfortunately lots of vendors and webs label “W-LED” to a whole set of sets of displays with very different backlights. It’s like “mammal”, a mouse is a mammal but a whale is a mammal too.
    W-LED is just a name, a very generic & ambiguous one.

To avoid such misleading names here, in this forum, it’s common that users add surnames to that name so it is no longer ambiguous, for example:
    95% P3 WLED PFS => yours, “Panasonic VVX17P051J00” (green main wavelength is longer)
    P3 WLED PFS , Apple WLED PFS  => same tech as above but green main wavelength is a little shorter that above to give P3 green. CCSS is bundled in displaycal, no equivalent EDR in Xrite
    AdobeRGB WLED PFS => Same as first one, but green main wavelength is the shortest of this family, to give AdobeRGB green
    White LED/WLED => Common LED monitors with sRGB colospace, backlight is a blue led + yellow phosphor which give such limited green & red primaries.

Some respected webs even label those one with more ambiguous & misleading names like “wide gamut blue led-RG phosphor LED” for AdobeRGB flavor of WLED PFS models like Eizo CG319X.
    “Just names”, what trully characteize a display is its spectral power distribution, the data inside a CCSS/EDR (or a 2D plot of such data). It’s like a fingerprint of the LED & phosphors and that is what software needs needs to correct your colorimeter raw measurements

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by Vincent.

Papayaman
    Participant

Thanks alot for the reply!
    I’ll try it out once I get the Pro version.

I’m sorry for not understanding all of this yet and being a complete noob but how do I know what uploaded user correction to use? As I look at the different ones some of them seem to have used PFS, some standard WLED, some Auto(Nothing).

Vincent
    Participant

Thanks alot for the reply!
    I’ll try it out once I get the Pro version.

Why? same HW, you can test right now.

I’m sorry for not understanding all of this yet and being a complete noob but how do I know what uploaded user correction to use? As I look at the different ones some of them seem to have used PFS, some standard WLED, some Auto(Nothing).

ArgyllCMS command line “specplot myfilename.ccss” or DisplayCAL CCSS info buton

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by Vincent.

Papayaman
    Participant

Hi again Vincent. Using the user made CCSS you suggested I can only use Mode:Refresh(Generic). If I set it to LCD it changes correction to None..  Should I use it anyway with Refresh or is that correction wrong?

Vincent
    Participant

It is because Argyll code wrote refresh “YES” by default to CCSS when making the correction. Change text to “NO” in CCSS file (edit it) or leave it as is and choose refresh.
    Little to no change will be applied to measurements because refresh, maybe in very low light readings but i don’t remember.

dellQuebec
    Participant

Hi Vincent,

I just got a U2520D and I am not sure what to do in DisplayCal even though I read your answers here. I am using a i1 Display Pro.

On the monitor, do I choose costum color or color space – sRBG / DP3 before calibrating?

In displayCal, here are my settings:

Settings: sRGB. Is it better to choose Default or Office and Web ?

Correction: Spectral: LCD PFS Phosphor WLED IPS, 94% P3 (Panasonic WX17P051J00 in Lenovo P70)

Do I need to check any other optioons ?

Thanks a lot.

Vincent
    Participant

On the monitor, do I choose costum color or color space – sRBG / DP3 before calibrating?

Custom color for full gamut. sRGB preset  to limir colorspace but if you use DMWLUT you don’ need those presets.

Settings: sRGB. Is it better to choose Default or Office and Web ?

Do I need to check any other optioons ?

Calibration speed (on advanced) sets how many grey ramp patches will be fixed. I’ll keep medium or better unless uncalibrated grey is near perfect.

dellQuebec
    Participant

Hi Vencent,

Thanks a lot for your answers. I still have a few ones.

I have a second U2520D, what settings do I need to use to make it look as close as possible to my main monitor when calibrating it?

Also, I have a third screen Dell U2314H, what settings do I use for this one to make it look as close as the other two. I know the difference will be more pronounced between the u2414h vs the two u2520d.

Thank you!

Vincent
    Participant

Choose proper colorimeter correction for both, calibrate & profile.
    If there is a mild missmatch, choose the whiter one, vcisual whitepoint editor on the other till it visually matches. On visuall matched monitor do not use LUT3D with abs colorimetric, only relative or visually matched white will be undone.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS