Setting black output offset for enjoyment

Home Forums General Discussion Setting black output offset for enjoyment

• This topic has 2 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 1 week ago by MW.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

MW
    Participant

I’m making a profile purely for enjoying games and movies on my Dell U2412M. The monitor has an IPS panel with 1000:1 contrast ratio. My target gamma is 2.2 or 2.25 per my preference. Assuming I have a typical taste in tonal reproduction, what range of black output offset values would I be interested in?

• This topic was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by MW.

MW
    Participant

So here I am 25 3DLUTs later, all tested on seven of my favorite games. I ended up favoring a black output offset of 96% at gamma 2.25 relative. For me it lifts the shadows just enough without ruining the atmosphere.

If I would do it over again, I would start at 100% black output offset and go down in small increments, ignoring the range below 85.

MW
    Participant

I adjusted my setup and tested again under the new contions, this time pure 2.2 gamma looks best with games. Less than 100% black output offset now always looks washed out. Less than gamma 2.2 looks too dark though, even in a pitch black room.

The difference is that my IPS display was set too low and too close resulting in IPS-glow raising the perceived black point. Since then I raised the middle of the screen to eye level and increased the distance to 65cm. Before it was set to the upper border at eye level and roughly 45cm distance. The impact of this change is huge and can’t be overlooked. In my case it negated the need for black output offset. All together colors are as saturated and punchy as possible while at the same time adhering to a standard gamut and TRC like it should. Not a bad way to enjoy games.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS