Self-calibration position not detected in colormunki photo

Home Forums Help and Support Self-calibration position not detected in colormunki photo

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Jos van Riswick
    Participant

Hello!

When creating a colorimeter correction with colormunki photo, displaycal asks to set the instrument in self-calibration position. When I do this and click continue, the same popup window then appears, asking the same question. I tried all dial positions on the instrument, but the same popup keeps appearing, never going past this point. Same happens when I try ‘self-calibration’ from the tools/instrument menu.

This is in xubuntu 18.04 / displaycal 3.8.9.3. On my windows computer, it does seem to work correctly. I tried to get it to work on linux virtualbox with win 10 guest, but there the colormunki isn’t detected by displaycal (but it is working with the xrite software).

Any suggestions what I could try on linux to make it work?

thnx

Calibrite ColorChecker Studio on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Jos van Riswick
    Participant

Jos van Riswick
    Participant

Hello,

I just tried again a couple of times, and then it worked. I was able to create the correction and upload. But.. now I tried again and have the same problem. Dont know if this is due to a fault in the instrument. Swapping the usb cable or reconnecting the device didn’t work….

David Auner
    Participant

Hi Jos!
    Having the exact same problem but on a Windows system.
    Any luck since you posted?
    Thanks, David

Jos van Riswick
    Participant

hi David

thnx for following up! No. It worked occasionally and I wasn’t able to narrow down the bug. I did manage to make the colorimeter corrections I needed, and havent looked at the problem after that..

Jos

David Auner
    Participant

Hi Jos,

here’s my theory: there’s a sensor in there that tells the instrument what position it is in. It is working alright when I set it to cal and then plug it in. But when I have to turn it to measure and then back to self-cal it doesn’t work. I used to work sometimes before, but now it doesn’t work at all.

Best, David

Jos van Riswick
    Participant

hi David

hm yes now you mention it, if I remember correctly I also tried that and it seemed to work a couple of times, but not all the time. Maybe there is a possibility to start displaycal in a debug mode or something ? (-v?)

David Auner
    Participant

I’m almost certain this is a hardware problem. When I use xrite i1studio I can see that the probe is not registering it’s set to the cal mode. My guess is that there’s dirt in there or so… Haven’t found a way to open up the housing though.
    Best, David

Sasheen
    Participant

Hi all,

I’m currently on 3.8.9.3 with a colormunki photo and I am experiencing the exact same behaviour. The software fails to recognize the instrument in the calibration position and the dialogue box keeps repeatedly popping up. I have successfully got it to work with i1Studio.

I’m about to pull my hair out with this situation, even resorted to manually installing the ArgyllCMS USB driver after having to locate my BitLocker key >.<

Perhaps it is a bug in the USB driver?

Thanks

Sasheen

Sasheen
    Participant

Hi all,

Just an update. I have solved my issue, it turns out that the ‘reflective strips’ that are on the internal side of the plastic casing were to blame.

There strips are responsible for telling the device what position the wheel is in.  They seem to lose their sheen over time and become less reflective and therefore the sensor is unable to determine where the wheel is positioned. This was fixed by taking the instrument apart according to the ifixit guide (very simple to do). I removed the plastic piece containing the reflective strips (for easier access) and wrapped aluminuim foil around the reflective strips and secured them with some super glue on the back. I out it back together and hey presto, it works! A word of warning, try not to get glue onto the original reflective strips as the glue seemed to eat through whatever material they’re made off.

It was a seemingly optimistic fix, so i figured I might as well give it a try and see what happens. Hopefully if anyone else has this issue, you can try this to see if it works for you.

Jos van Riswick
    Participant

Thnx! Yes it worked! It seems to work fine now. I used adhesive tape to glue a piece of aluminium foil onto the plastic strip. I used wide tape, so the layer of tape covers the entire surface of the strip, preventing it from peeling off (i hope).

Thnx anyway for posting your comment, I’m happy to use the device again!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS