Samsung UE40D6200TSXZG Resolve Reference

Home Forums Help and Support Samsung UE40D6200TSXZG Resolve Reference

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

FAndreas
    Participant

Hello,

I want to calibrate a 2012 Samsung UE40D6200TSXZG for Davinci Resolve as a reference monitor.
    I am aware that the device will never be as accurate as some professionel reference monitor but I just want to get some color accuracy for my timeline fullscreen playback.

I watched some YouTube tutorials for DisplayCal and Resolve, so the worfklow should be no problem for me. Before I am starting I am trying to get information which options in DisplayCal i should set for the combination with my old Samsung TV. DisplaySpecifications.com doesn’t lists my device and I could not find a thread with parameters for an equal Samsung TV in this forum (if it exists, a link would be great).

What are good settings on TV and in DisplayCAL for this purpose?

Thank you
    Andreas

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

not sure about the display technology of that TV, but it’s probably white LED.

Use the 3d LUT for Resolve preset, and follow the corresponding guide in the wiki.

FAndreas
    Participant

Hello Florian,

thanks for your reply.

I followed the wiki and did a calibration today. I set the Samsung TV to Film mode (which should disable background lightning dynamics), disabled any kind of picture enhancement feature and set values on TV to get a picture as close as possible to my calibrated Eizo monitor.  Waited over 30 mins and then I started the process and I was surprised that I had to decrease blue so much, but ok. Afterwards I checked the measurement file with Tools->Advanced->Chek measurement file. And had a hard time figuring out if the errors are problematic or not. I used the White LED correction in Calibration settings. My Colorimeter is an i1 DisplayPro. After calibration it states that my TV reaches 89.x % of sRGB color space.

Maybe you could have a look at the attached file and give me your feedback? Would be very helpful.

In Resolve the output looks a tiny little bit more red tint in comparison with my Eizo. I calibrated the Eizo about 2 month ago.

Regards.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

FAndreas
    Participant

Again the file, zip compressed.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

FAndreas
    Participant

I searched the forum for more information and found out, that I should don’t reduce contrast value  on my TV and set color space to native. I did that and started a calibration again. This time I took a picture from the results window after calibration and compared it with the information in Wiki:

Gamut coverage: 92,7% sRGB, 69,2% Adobe RGB, 74,8% DCI P3
    Gamut volume: 110,6% sRGB, 76,2% Adobe RGB, 78,3% DCI P3
    About 4% higher sRGB coverage than at first run.

ΔE*76 average: 0.47, maximum 2.19, RMS 0.55
    Wiki says: “The self check error should not be higher than 0.5 DE average and 5 DE peak”
    I think peak is maximum and “D” means “ΔE*76”? So, am I good to go with the results?

I compared the two measurement reports with Tools->Advanced->Chek measurement file and saw, that I know have doubled the errors in the new report. I load the file up with this post.

Can I use the new calibration and the file in Resolve or should I change anything in my process and run a calibration again?

Honestly, I can not see any difference with the two generated 3D LUT files on my Samsung TV screen.

Regards, Andreas.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

FAndreas
    Participant

I meant differences between the two generated LUTs in comparison. I definitely see a difference with or without a LUT-File. 🙂

Willian Aleman
    Participant

The foundation of the results described here might be caused by the maramerism effect. The solution to this is perceptual calibration. This is done by making manual changes of the parameters on the target display to get close to the hero display, then, take another read in DisplayCAL, as it’s, and create a new LUT.

Hope this helps.

FAndreas
    Participant

Thank you Willian.
    I found a great website with good explanations of most picture settings of Samsung TVs (old an new ones) and recommended settings:
    http://www.hifi-forum.de/viewthread-151-28898.html

I changed some of my settings on TV and made a third calibration. This time the results message shows me:
    ΔE*76 average: 0.43, maximum 1.50, RMS 0.49
    92.3% sRGB coverage, 98.4% sRGB volume

I think this is the best I can achieve. I will leave it that way

Florian Höch
    Administrator

maramerism

Metamerism 🙂

I compared the two measurement reports with Tools->Advanced->Chek measurement file

This function should only be used if there is reason to be suspicious about the measurements (i.e. high profile self check error).

I changed some of my settings on TV and made a third calibration. This time the results message shows me:
    ΔE*76 average: 0.43, maximum 1.50, RMS 0.49
    92.3% sRGB coverage, 98.4% sRGB volume

That looks like a reasonable result.

FAndreas
    Participant

Thank you Florian for your reply and for your effort to developing DisplayCAL! 😉

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS