Samsung G9 Neo + HDR + Xrite Display Pro

Home Forums Help and Support Samsung G9 Neo + HDR + Xrite Display Pro

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Dariusz
    Participant

Hey

I’m loosing my mind with callibration.

When in SDR & Local dimming disabled, I can calibrate the screen, hit about 100-130srgb and around 90 dc3. Which I take is… good?

But when I enable windows HDR & enable Local dimming etc, callibrate then, then everything is going very bad and wrong.

Is there anything special that I need to do to make it calibrate properly?

I know that my xrite is only PRO which is not meant for HDR displays, should I buy Pro Plus? As far as I can tell PRO is up to 1000nits, ProPlus is for 1000+, but not sure… Im callibrating all to 200 nits, or so I think…

Can any1 suggest what steps I should take to make it stick?

Regards

Dariusz

Kuba Trybowski
    Participant

There two problems here:

When you enable the HDR mode in the system control panel, all color profiles are disabled and won’t work as long as the mode remains active. If you want to use color profiles, you must first disable the HDR mode.

X-Rite’s/Colorite’s colorimeters aren’t phisically compatible with curved displays (they were designed for flat ones), so there might be a gap between the device and the surface of the screen, through which external light might get in and cause incorrect readings:

Dariusz
    Participant

Thank you for getting back to me Kuba

Yes, all profiles are disabled by windows, HOWEVER, displayCal is able to apply profiles! And it works!

Curvature-wise, yes I agree too, however, I did profiling in SDR-non hdr mode, without Local Dimming, and he did a good profile! I can see it matching my other 2 screens. So the curvature is not too much of an issue for me, I can also cover the screen with black cloth/etc to help block out the small light.

What my problem is that if I enable HDR mode & try to calibrate, He always limits calibration to 100-120lumel, and mostly messes it up. So far my G9 Neo in SDR is giving me this in terms of quality(see attachment)

Which appear to be pretty in line with their advertisement. So all good. I just struggle with HDR. At the moment this is my workflow

Start calibration in SDR mode, and enable measurement. Then adjust RGB + lum to the desire level. THEN I enable HDR. When I enable HDR, the monitor colors/settings change. It’s like DUAL setting OS. SO 1 for SDR & 1 for HDR> In that mode. I also correct luma/RGB colors. Then I can jump between SDR and HDR profiles and I Can see that in measurement they both match. Keep in mind that I have 2 different settings in terms of brightness and RGB based on mode. In any case, I did calibration in SDR Mode. Then when I enable HDR mode, I lose profile./ But I Can re-apply-force via displayCAL! It works as long as the window is open… so I just minimize the GUI and wuaila… I have HDR calibrated using SDR profile, but I Have no idea how “accurate it is” but that’s why I’m here to find out what should I do to make it better.

Any hints?

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by Dariusz.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

S Simeonov
    Participant

There two problems here:

When you enable the HDR mode in the system control panel, all color profiles are disabled and won’t work as long as the mode remains active. If you want to use color profiles, you must first disable the HDR mode.

X-Rite’s/Colorite’s colorimeters aren’t phisically compatible with curved displays (they were designed for flat ones), so there might be a gap between the device and the surface of the screen, through which external light might get in and cause incorrect readings:

I have a curved screen and I1Display Pro, and it is very well compatible.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS