RGB Gray Balance scattered

Home Forums Help and Support RGB Gray Balance scattered

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Thomasin
    Participant

Hello! I recently calibrated (or atleast tried to) Panasonic TH42BT300 with DisplayCAL and  X-Rite i1Display Pro to create a 3D-LUT (Rec. 709, 100 cd/m², 6500k) for DaVinci Resolve. The first results were pretty good, but after I tried it a  second time, the RGB Gray Balance dusts started to scatter around. I tried it couple more times but it just got worse and worse.  All and all, I think the calibratrion was decent, but this really troubles me, since I have no idea what’s causing it.

More info and details on the measurement report.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

the TH42BT300 is a plasma display, so it likely has ABL (automatic brightness limiting). Use a small patch area size and enable white level drift compensation during measurements, that should help stability.

Thomasin
    Participant

I did enable the white level drift compensation. The size of the patch area was too big for x-rite,  but I couldn’t get it any smaller. The attachment picture is a rough estimate.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by Thomasin.
    Attachments:

Thomasin
    Participant

Is there any other way to make the the measurement window smaller then just by clicking the buttons on the window?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Sorry, I don’t follow. What is stopping you from making the window smaller?

Thomasin
    Participant

Okey, so:

1. After I entered the IP address in the window that opend in Resolve and clicked “Connect”,  the measurement window appears on my GUI monitor.
    2. I drag the measurement window to the desired location my GUI monitor and click the shrink button on  the measurement window until it doesn’t get any smaller.
    3. I click “Start measurement” and the measurement window appears on the monitor connected via Resolve, but now the window  is way bigger.

Thomasin
    Participant

Hello? Is there a way to make it smaller or is this a bug ? I could really use some answers.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Sorry, I’m not able to reproduce the problem.

Thomasin
    Participant

Yeah, the Panasonic TH42BT300 is the only one I’ve had that problem with.

Also, I’m using the ultrastudio mini monitor if that means anything.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 7 months ago by Thomasin.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Yeah, the Panasonic TH42BT300 is the only one I’ve had that problem with.

Weird. The only thing I could imagine would be some (unnecessary) scaling going on in Resolve or through the ultrastudio. Does the Resolve “Color” tab viewer already show the issue or just the ultrastudio output? What’s your timeline resolution?

Thomasin
    Participant

I think the timeline resolution was Full HD. I’ll have check those other things out tomorrow.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Thanks. Timeline res technically shouldn’t matter for the patterns being sent (sizes are percentages), but probably a good idea trying to cover all variables. What would be interesting to see if the viewer shows correct relative pattern sizes or not.

Thomasin
    Participant

I recalibrated the plasma with same specs and I made sure there was no scaling going on. However, this time I used a different GUI monitor, 27-inch Eizo monitor with 2560 x 1440 resolution. Previously I used a Samsung SyncMaster with 1920 x 1200 res. This time I was able to shrink the window much closer to the desired size. The window was still a tad too big but much better. See the attachment picture.

The results weren’t much better though. RGB Gray Balance starts to scatter around after 30% between +5 and -5 and it goes completely bonkers after 10 %.

But how big of a problem is this? Which RGB Gray Balance results would be unacceptable?

Attachments:

Florian Höch
    Administrator

The window was still a tad too big but much better. See the attachment picture.

Doesn’t look like it’s too big from your photo. It’s tiny.

The results weren’t much better though. RGB Gray Balance starts to scatter around after 30% between +5 and -5 and it goes completely bonkers after 10 %.

But how big of a problem is this? Which RGB Gray Balance results would be unacceptable?

Check the appearance of grayscale visually and compare it to the delta E. The only real outliers are level 64 (25%) with a dE*00 of 1.51 and level 230 (90%) with a dE*00 of 1.23. It’s up to you to decide if that’s acceptable to you.

You may be able to influence the result by either using a black background instead of the default 22% APL background, or changing the APL percentage (you have to edit DisplayCAL.ini with a text editor for this, as the setting is not exposed in the GUI, the value to change or add is patterngenerator.apl, and the valid range is 0.0 to 1.0).

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS