Resolve Workflow questions

Home Forums Help and Support Resolve Workflow questions

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Zoltan G
    Participant

Hi guys,

I’m quite new to profiling & calibration, but I was looking into it the last few days and sometimes all the options feel overwhelming in displaycal.

I have a Benq PD2700u, connected to a BMD Decklink and I’m use it for Color Grading in Rec.709/Gamma 2.4.

The 3D LUT  workflow with Resolve works great, but I have a few questions:

-Under the 3D LUT tab, do I need to check the “apply calibration (vcgt)” box? As the correction will be applied to the LUT, I don’t need to make a correction for the graphic cards, right?

-Input/Output encoding under the 3D LUT tab: Full range RGB or Rec.709?

I’ve attached my settings and I would really appreciate it if somebody would review them.

After the profiling/calibration process I did a verification and had a average delta E of 0,6, which is quite good. Just one color field had a delta E  of 3.94. Is this color field out of my displays gamut or why is there such a big aberration? I’ve attached my measurement report.

Thank you very much in advance!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

you seem to be limiting your white level and black level to 16-235 in DisplayCAL – this will unnecessarily reduce contrast (Resolve already outputs correct levels through the Decklink card), set it to “Auto”. Also, set whitepoint to x y 0.3127 0.329 and calibration tone curve to “As measured”.

Under the 3D LUT tab, do I need to check the “apply calibration (vcgt)” box?

Yes, this option is generally always enabled and should stay like that.

As the correction will be applied to the LUT, I don’t need to make a correction for the graphic cards, right?

The graphics card is not involved if going through a Decklink card.

-Input/Output encoding under the 3D LUT tab: Full range RGB or Rec.709?

Full range RGB. The Resolve preset already sets this correctly.

Is this color field out of my displays gamut or why is there such a big aberration?

Yes, this is quite normal for displays which only have (close to) sRGB/Rec709 gamut natively.

Zoltan G
    Participant

Thank you Florian!

I did a second run of profiling and calibration, verified it with displaycal and got good results (I’ve attached my verification settings and report).

After that I did a profiling with Lightspace DSP and got really bad results (see pdf, I’ve also attached my Lightspace settings)

Am I missing something? Where does the discrepancy come from? In displaycal I’ve loaded the exact colorimeter+display correction whereas in Lightspace I cannot. Might this be the reason?

Thank you.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

In displaycal I’ve loaded the exact colorimeter+display correction whereas in Lightspace I cannot

You have to use the exact same settings in LightSpace, i.e. same instrument settings like measurement mode/colorimeter correction, and same verification target (BT.1886, not gamma 2.4).

Zoltan G
    Participant

Ah, that’s what I’ve thought. Thanky you Florian, appreciate your work and effort.

Willian Aleman
    Participant

In displaycal I’ve loaded the exact colorimeter+display correction whereas in Lightspace I cannot

You have to use the exact same settings in LightSpace, i.e. same instrument settings like measurement mode/colorimeter correction, and same verification target (BT.1886, not gamma 2.4).

Please educate me on the subject:  Although, BT 1886 has been the standard, what is the purpose of DisplayCAL recommending using this gamma curve for display calibration, when the majority of programs for the web, broadcast, and theatrical releases are been mastered in 2.2, 2.4, DCI-P3 2.6 gamma curve, respectively? This is in addition that it has been said that BT1886 lifts the black levels, making it being washed-out in regular consumer displays.

Zoltan G
    Participant

This paper is quite helpful: http://www.spectracal.com/Documents/White%20Papers/BT.1886.pdf

Zoltan G
    Participant

I jsut found out, that on the other hand, Lightspace does not recommend it: https://www.lightillusion.com/error.html#bt1886_gamma

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS