Resolve: Should I use "Use Mac Display Color Profiles for Viewers"?

Home Forums Help and Support Resolve: Should I use "Use Mac Display Color Profiles for Viewers"?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

David Skok
    Participant

Hi Florian, first off, may I thank you again for your wonderful work with DisplayCal. For Davinci Resolve users it is a lifesaver.

I do have a question: in Resolve there is a check box option on the Mac version in the Preferences | General settings page: “Use Mac Display Color Profiles for Viewers“.  In the past I have this unchecked, but now I am beginning to think that this might be wrong, as I have installed the DisplayCal color profile for the iMac Pro display, and in your instructions “3D LUT Creation for Resolve” you talk about this profile interacting with the LUT that is created for Resolve.

When I uncheck “Use Mac Display Color Profiles for Viewers”, I get a more saturated looking image on my display, but I am beginning to think this is not a true display as the exported video is less saturated. So I think I should have it checked to get an accurate preview of how the exported video will look.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

are you using a dedicated Color Viewer 3D LUT? In that case, the “Use Mac Display Color Profiles for Viewers“ shouldn’t really do anything. Otherwise, it may be better than nothing to get the viewer at least somewhat close to accurate (it won’t be capable of proper Rec. 1886 due to no way to configure that inside Resolve though).

David Skok
    Participant

I am using a dedicated Color Viewer 3D LUT. It does work pretty well and for a person like me who publishes primarily to YouTube,it is more than good enough.  So as I hear you, I should have this turned on, as the combination of the Mac OS system viewer color profile that I saved from DisplayCal, and the Color Viewer 3D LUT will work better together than leaving that option unchecked?

On one of my laptop (Macbook Pro) this doesn’t seem to make a perceptible difference, but on one of my iMac Pro’s, unchecking the box does seem to make the image more saturated.

Also thanks for your very fast response!

Florian Höch
    Administrator

When “Use Mac Display Color Profiles for Viewers“ still does something while a Color Viewer 3D LUT is in use, that’s a Resolve bug.

David Skok
    Participant

Thanks Florian. I just sent a small thank you for your great support via PayPal. Your service is amazing – fast response time on a weekend!

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Thank you 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS