Relationship between ICC profile and 3D LUT

Home Forums Help and Support Relationship between ICC profile and 3D LUT

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Sarnex
    Participant

Hi,

I’m wondering if the ICC profile created from calibration includes the 3D LUT, or if telling the operating system to use the ICC profile will somehow automatically load the 3D LUT  that was created alongside the ICC profile.

Or is it that the 3D LUT always needs to be specified manually in supported applications, and it can never be set at the operating system level?

Does setting the 3D LUT output format to .icc have anything to do with the ICC profile from the first calibration step?

Note I am using the KDE Plasma Desktop environment on Linux if it matters.

Thanks,

Sarnex

• This topic was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by Sarnex.

Vincent
    Participant

ICC = device description

LUT3D = transformation from one ICC to another ICC (as long as 1st falls inside 2nd). Hence you need two ICC for a LUT3D

Sarnex
    Participant

Thanks. And is the LUT3D ICC something I can install OS wide, at least on Linux?

Vincent
    Participant

Thanks. And is the LUT3D ICC something I can install OS wide, at least on Linux?

No AFAIK

You configure a display ICC profile in OS level (a destination colorspace). Each color managed app should provide a source colospace for each image/canvas.

Same for windows, but on Windows you can use DMWLUT which sets a LUT3D system wide instead a display ICC, and expects that all non color managed apps are sending sRGB data; for color managed apps used with DWMLUT you should have configured LUT3D source profile as display ICC in OS settings.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS