Reducing contrast on a Mini Led laptop?

Home Forums General Discussion Reducing contrast on a Mini Led laptop?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

thevisi0nary
    Participant

I will be purchasing a new laptop within the next few months, and one of the devices I am considering has a Mini Led display. Something that concerns me is photo editing on a display with a huge dynamic range, and having my photos translate to displays that do not have as high a contrast ratio. I read a lot of topics about trying to maximize contrast ratio during calibration, but is it possible to do the opposite and make a profile that reduces contrast? Without causing any issues?

MW
    Participant

It works as two separate modes. When you run the monitor in SDR mode at 120 nits the contrast ratio will be similar to regular IPS/LED displays. Calibrating the HDR mode is kind of futile due to propriety protocols that you are locked out of.

Vincent
    Participant

I’ll add to MW explanation that whatever the high contrast is, as long as display is profiled when you softproof using a printer or print service profile the contrast in the image will be reduced if you simulate black from ink.

thevisi0nary
    Participant

I’ll add to MW explanation that whatever the high contrast is, as long as display is profiled when you softproof using a printer or print service profile the contrast in the image will be reduced if you simulate black from ink.

Thank you. I wont be softproofing for print, just web photography. I like to have as close a reference as possible to common screens.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS