Red hue etc on MacBook Pro

Home Forums Help and Support Red hue etc on MacBook Pro

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

RickP
    Participant

Hi all,

I have seen this issue has been discussed before but i’m a bit of a novice so would really appreciate some help.

I have used my Colormunki Display to calibrate my external monitor (BenQSW240). This has worked very well and still gives very good results when sending images to print (I’m a photogpraher so do this regularly and am always happy with the results). My previous external monitor was the same – the calibration went well and it gave me very good results.

I calibrated my MacBook Pro screen with the same software and hardware but am getting a slight red cast to the images I see in all apps – Photoshop, Lightroom, Capture 1 and online. The highlights are also very slightly blown out. I subsequently used DisplayCAL and am getting what looks like the same result. I start with a linear profile and have chosen what I think is the correct screen type for my MacBook Pro 15-inch 2018 (PFS Phosphor) but cannot seem to get an accurate result.

I am happy to share any details of settings etc on here so feel free to ask away. Any help would be appreciated.

Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Kuba Trybowski
    Participant

Make sure that automatic brightness adjustment, True Tone, Night Shift and HDR are disabled:

RickP
    Participant

Thanks Kuba. I had already disabled those. I have been using this page as a guide up until now: https://www.xrite.com/service-support/poor_results_with_i1display_pro_on_mac

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by RickP.

Kuba Trybowski
    Participant

Try to calibrate your Macbook according to this guide:

RickP
    Participant

Thank you. I’ll give that a try and report back : )

RickP
    Participant

The Colormunki is too old to work with i1Profiler, instead it works with i1Studio which seems less customisable, so unfortunately I’m unable to calibrate using this video 🙁

Kuba Trybowski
    Participant

It’s not too old, it’s just incompatible.

Please tell me your brightness/luminosity, white point and gamma values.

What kind of display/backlight technology does the app detetect?

What’s your contrast setting?

RickP
    Participant

Thank you for your help on this.

The white point is D65, luminance is 120cd/m2,  gamma is Standard 2.20

I have selected PFS Phosphor as the screen type.

The contrast slider is down to the lowest setting ‘normal’.

Kuba Trybowski
    Participant

Try to calibrate your display using the latest version of i1 Studio and the same calibration parameters:

https://calibrite.com/pl/software-downloads/

RickP
    Participant

Hi Kuba, thanks again for this. I still seem to be getting the same / similar result. A slight bit noticeable red hue as compared with my Benq monitor. I have also recalibrated the external monitor to be sure it hadn’t drifted since the last calibration however it looks the same.

Kuba Trybowski
    Participant

Since both DisplayCAL and i1 Studio produce a similar result, it might be a problem with your colorimeter.

RickP
    Participant

Thank you Kuba. I will try to get hold of a different unit to see if that helps.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS