Recommended settings for Mac Mini + i1 Pro + sRGB Photography

Home Forums Help and Support Recommended settings for Mac Mini + i1 Pro + sRGB Photography

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Nathanael Zamir
    Participant

Hi there,

It has been about a year or two since I have used DisplayCAL (last time I used it as DispcalGUI). I recently purchased a Dell U2717D monitor for my sister who is a photographer and works in the sRGB color space. I want to calibrate the monitor for her so that she has the best color possible to edit her photos.

I am using the  i1 Pro Spectrophotometer (Rev D) for the calibration. The monitor is rated at 99% sRGB (when using the sRGB display mode) but I received a 97% sRGB coverage on the first try on the monitor’s custom display mode. I used LCD Adaptive High Res (with black level drift compensation), medium speed, 120 luminance, 6500k, 2.2 gamma, 1500 patches for profiling. I was able to reach dE < .03 prior to the calibration by adjusting the RGB values and brightness on the monitor’s custom display mode.

Her specs are:
    Mac Mini (late 2012)
    Dell U2717D Monitor
    I1 Pro Specto (Rev D)

I remember reading a forum a long time ago where someone mentioned that there are special command lines to add to the calibration that may help the i1 Pro with the calibration. I cannot remember which commands they were. I also haven’t used DisplayCAL with a mac before. Do I need to delete the current ICC files on the Mac before I run a calibration? When I ran that first calibration the ICC profile that was on the Mac was the default one for this monitor.

If anyone can provide specific calibration recommendations tailored to sRGB photography accuracy I would really appreciate it.

Thank you!

WolfPeace
    Participant

If the monitor doesn’t need uniformity compensation you did good using Custom mode(IMO). This enables you to use monitor at it’s native gammut which is wider than sRGB(except that few percentages, which don’t matter). Assuming that you end up with precise profile in correctly color managed applications sRGB images would be very well shown. Don’t fret on that few percentages that monitor doesn’t cover.

I don’t see the reason you would need to delete previous monitor ICC profiles or the default ones that came with Mac.

Regards,

Milos

Nathanael Zamir
    Participant

Thanks for the response. I am going to do a low calibration speed this time around to see if I can get better results. Also after a bit of digging, I found the command that I mentioned. According to Argyllcms when using the i1 you can add the “-H” command for high res readings. How do I add the command to the calibration?

In regards to my original post, are there any specific settings that I should set in DisplayCAL that are better suited for sRGB?

Thanks!

Nathanael Zamir
    Participant

I reran the calibration, I think the results are somewhat similar. I have uploaded the LOG and calibration results on the links below. Could someone let me know if these are acceptable before I ship this monitor out?
    Gamut Coverage – 97.2% sRGB
    Gamute Volume – 107.5% sRGB

Calibration & Profiling results
    DisplayCAL LOG

Thanks

Florian Höch
    Administrator

According to Argyllcms when using the i1 you can add the “-H” command for high res readings.

There’s no need to fuss with command line switches, you can choose the measurement mode in the UI (and from your initial post above, it looks like you already had used high res mode).

Could someone let me know if these are acceptable before I ship this monitor out?

You can run a measurement report to evaluate profiling accuracy.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS