Recalibrating i1 Display Pro with a X-Rite Spectrometer

Home Forums General Discussion Recalibrating i1 Display Pro with a X-Rite Spectrometer

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Willian Aleman
    Participant

I have been using the i1 Display Pro for about a year. It’s well known that with age colorimeters lose in performance.
    What X-Rite Spectrometer or package will recalibrate the i1Display Pro or create a custom correction profile for specific display?

I found a thread here pointing out that the i1Pro is a spectrometer, but I haven’t found yet a mention of its use for calibrating a colorimeter.

Whitepoint mismatch and color managed application differences.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

I won’t bother about i1Displaypro aging at this point, it’s one of its strong points.

What you may worry about is that its spectral sensivity may be not equal to standard observer CIE 1931 2º.
    So you may want to create a CCSS file with an spectrophotometer (i1pro for example) and DisplayCAL which store the spectral power distribution of your displays (please NATIVE gamut, not emulated gamuts like sRGB or AdobeRGB).
    Then measure your displays with the i1DisplayPro and that CCSS. This method uses CCSS (spectral data from your display) and colorimeter sensivity (per wavelength) stored in i1d3 firmware (which seems to be VERY accurate in order to recover differences between “your i1d3” and standard observer) . Unless you have acces to a lab grade equipment id the best one, and one CCSS do the job for all i1d3 measuring that kind of display.

Another one is to create a matrix correction with an spectrophotometer correlating your particular colorimeter and your particular display. Limited resolution of xrite spectros (10nm) does not look very promising with some backlight with narrow spectra like those in PFS phosphor LED.
    If you have lab grade spectrophotometer, this way is the best way to correct a colorimeter.

Anyway, if your displays are those LG31MU97 they seem to be GB-LED backlight and you don’t need to create a CCSS or buy a spectrophotometer,  just use some GB-LED sample in DisplayCAL colorimeter correction database (http://colorimetercorrections.displaycal.net/) or RGphosphor from Xrite or “cleaned” version (last 4 row of spectral data) in RGphosphor CCSS from Xrite.

IMHO it will be most cost wise to invest $1000 in a good display with good uniformity (which it seems that LG is unable to offer in 2018) rather that spend that $1000 in an i1Pro2… unless you want to profile printers (in that situation it would be an awesome tool), but your messages show a more video oriented work.  So… just use i1DisplayPro with proper CCSS.
    Also, keep in mind that LG calibration software does not uses a good spectral correction for that displays… but you have DisplayCAL.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by Vincent.

Willian Aleman
    Participant

Vincent, thanks a lot for your detailed response. The news of the aging condition of the i1Display Pro is a great one.

You are right. I’m on the video side. I’m a DIT and On-set colorist based in New York City

My questions on the original post are based on getting a proper and affordable spectrometer because:

1 – I don’t have a spectrometer
    2 – Awhile ago, I invested in my displays, (OSEE XMC LCD 24” 10-bit LCD and Atomos SUMO 19). I’m very satisfied with their performance on-set and at the studio.
    3 – My displays don’t appear in any of the databases CCSS correction files available online.
    4 – As you can see, I don’t have LG display.

Besides buying a spectrometer, my only alternative would be to find a company that offers this type of services, like Flanders Scientific (FSI) and SpectralCal do when the i1Display Pro has been purchased from them. Unfortunately, when I bought it I didn’t know better.

I wish DisplaCal would offer this type of service in the future.

As a last resource, I might purchase a second i1Display when this one starts to show a noticeable defective performance. So far so good.

Vincent
    Participant

First of all my apologies, I read some post of yours in a LG31MU97 thread nad I made a very wrong supposition. My apologies again because with that new knowledge my answer is different.

-rent or buy an i1Pro2, make CCSS corrections for your displays. I would use ArgyllCMS driver with  “high res” option (10nm -> 3nm) if you do not know the kind of backlight your display have. If you see narrow spikes in plotted spectra, stick to 3nm readings and high res mode.
    CCSS correction is portable to a matrix correction for *your* particular i1DisplayPro in CalMAN suite (or others without “free” CCSS support) with a little user’s effort and ArgyllCMS comannd line.

-rent a JETI or CR or Minolta spctrophotometer to make matrix or CCSS correction (because they are very expensive to buy!)
    AFAIK only JETI spectros are supported by ArgyllCMS (http://argyllcms.com/doc/ArgyllDoc.html) but it is no so difficult to compute a “4 color matrix correction” for your i1DisplayPro from those devices readings and their own software.  There is a lot of public documentation about that
    This last one should be equal or better in accuracy than any meter reprofiling done by a 3rd party like the services you name.
    Once you have such matrix correction for each one of your displays, its data is portable to other software solutions like CalMAN.

P.S. I do not think that a free software project like DisplayCAL will offer such meter profiling  services, but ask DisplayCAL’s owner.

Willian Aleman
    Participant

There is no need to apology. I learned a lot from your response.
    I like very much the idea of renting the i1Pro2 to make the custom CCSS corrections for my displays. And thanks for the guides on how to do it properly.

Willian Aleman
    Participant

Regarding recalibrating the i1Display Pro with a spectrometer, I did ask the same question I posted here to X-Rite Support. The response I have from them took me by surprise. Here is an excerpt of the response.

“The i1Display Pro is a colorimeter, we do not have any calibration of these types of devices only for our spectrophotometers. The link that you sent is for a program called DisplayCal which is a third party color management system that can be used with the hardware.”

Here comes my surprise “That said, I will warn that they are using an Argyll driver which will break our i1Display Pro driver. If you install it you will need to manually uninstall the driver from within device manager as well as deleting the driver software or the instrument will not connect to our program.” I might be overlooking this in the DisplaCal Wiki because I haven’t read of this yet. I was unaware of this risk.

Vincent
    Participant

Regarding recalibrating the i1Display Pro with a spectrometer, I did ask the same question I posted here to X-Rite Support. The response I have from them took me by surprise. Here is an excerpt of the response.

“The i1Display Pro is a colorimeter, we do not have any calibration of these types of devices only for our spectrophotometers. The link that you sent is for a program called DisplayCal which is a third party color management system that can be used with the hardware.”

I will translate that as “you cannot modify firmware spectral sensivity of your sensor” (“read only memory”) but you can “compute a correction” (software level, not hardware) for your device: DisplayCAL (EDR translated to CCSS, CCSS, matrix), HCFR (same as DisplayCAL), CalMAN (EDR, matrix)… etc…

Xrite does not offer recalibration services for colorimeter. They do not modify your device.

Xrite i1Pro family of spectrophotometers could be “recertified” per user request, not manufacturer:

http://xritephoto.com/ph_product_overview.aspx?ID=24&Action=support&SupportID=3207

Here comes my surprise “That said, I will warn that they are using an Argyll driver which will break our i1Display Pro driver. If you install it you will need to manually uninstall the driver from within device manager as well as deleting the driver software or the instrument will not connect to our program.” I might be overlooking this in the DisplaCal Wiki because I haven’t read of this yet. I was unaware of this risk.

This is false.

i1DisplayPro does not need a driver, it’s a HID device. Plug in into a computer and you are done. ArgyllCMS and DisplayCAL (at least standalone versions) will run with a i1DisplayPro without needing elevation of privileges (root/Admin account) because they do nothing to your “system”. Same goes for i1DisplayPro variants like Wacom, CalMAN, NEC OEM versions or Munki Display.

i1Pro and i1Pro2 spectrophotometers do need ArgyllCMS USB driver to be used with ArgyllCMS and compatible satellite programs (DisplayCAL/HCFR).
    In that situation if you installed i1Profiler you’ll need to “disable” Xrite driver.
    When you want to use i1Profiler disable ArgyllCMS’ and reenable Xrite’s.

http://argyllcms.com/doc/Installing_MSWindows.html

Note that the Huey, i1 Display Pro, ColorMunki Display and ColorHug colorimeter appears as an HID (USB Human Interface Device Class) device, and hence will be assigned to the default MSWindows HID driver. You therefore don’t need to install an Argyll usb system driver for these instruments, although it is possible to select the libusb0.sys driver as an alternative to the default HID driver.

Same goes for Linux or OSX. HID device, no need for drivers, just plug in to yorur computer.

i1DispalyPro is not an i1Pro/i1Pro2. They do not know what devices they are talking about.

DisplayCAL does not “measure”, it is a front end for ArgyllCMS. ArgyllCMS is a command line set of applications that deal with actual measurements.
    Documentation about instruments & drirvers is in ArgyllCMS’ documentation.

Willian Aleman
    Participant

Vincent, thanks once again for your insightful comments on the subject, especially for the translation on the first X-Rite paragraph in their response.

I would prefer to say that the response from X-Rite Tech Support to my questions is based on a misinterpretation of my questions.
    I’m so glad I have joined this forum. I feel safe.

I’m attaching the link to this thread in my response to X-Rite Tech Support

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Just to re-iterate: Questions regarding driving any instrument with ArgyllCMS (whether through DisplayCAL or otherwise), should be directed to the respective program author(s).

Willian Aleman
    Participant

Just to re-iterate: Questions regarding driving any instrument with ArgyllCMS (whether through DisplayCAL or otherwise), should be directed to the respective program author(s).

Understood.

Umaiza Beck
    Participant

What X-Rite Spectrometer or package will recalibrate the i1Display Pro or create a custom correction profile for specific display?

Hello! From the title of the topic and the quoted fragment of your first post, is it necessary to understand that in this thread it would be inappropriate to discuss other ways to “fix” the aging of the X-Rite i1Display Pro? In addition to solutions from X-Rite.  I am also concerned about this issue, since 2.5 years have passed since the purchase of the device, and the aging of this calibrator begins from the day it was manufactured. I met the opinion that already a year after the manufacture of this model it should be used only with correction tables, and after four years the device must be thrown away.

Vincent
    Participant

Not really. Unless you damaged it it can be used with CCSS after 10 years and still match an i1Pro2 with 3nm readings.

Its filters are not like i1d2 or spyder 3/4/5.

Same would apply to SpyderX filters (or I would expect them to behave that way) but unfortunatelly these spyderx have no spectral sensivity curves that can be dumped from firmware… so it needs to be corrected in individually with an i1pro or something like that.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by Vincent.

Umaiza Beck
    Participant

Vincent, thank you for your reply! However, let’s say in a couple of years I still want to check if my calibrator is as accurate as before. I’m not likely to buy a spectrometer, but I can try to find a company in my city that has a spectrometer and is willing to do the correction for me. Do I understand correctly that as a result of the correction procedure for my calibrator, the company must provide me with a .ccmx file (correction matrices) or a .ccss file (calibration spectral samples)?

Create colorimeter correction…
    To create a colorimeter correction, you first need to measure the required test colors with a spectrometer, and in case you want to create a correction matrix instead of a spectral correction, also with the colorimeter.
    Alternatively you can also use existing measurements by choosing “Browse…”.
    A Make sure to measure your display device in its native gamut and do not artificially restrict it (via emulation modes or similar means) when creating a colorimeter correction.

Vincent
    Participant

Vincent, thank you for your reply! However, let’s say in a couple of years I still want to check if my calibrator is as accurate as before. I’m not likely to buy a spectrometer, but I can try to find a company in my city that has a spectrometer and is willing to do the correction for me. Do I understand correctly that as a result of the correction procedure for my calibrator, the company must provide me with a .ccmx file (correction matrices) or a .ccss file (calibration spectral samples)?

Create colorimeter correction…
    To create a colorimeter correction, you first need to measure the required test colors with a spectrometer, and in case you want to create a correction matrix instead of a spectral correction, also with the colorimeter.
    Alternatively you can also use existing measurements by choosing “Browse…”.
    A Make sure to measure your display device in its native gamut and do not artificially restrict it (via emulation modes or similar means) when creating a colorimeter correction.

Yes, but those corrections are valid for 1 display (type). That company should go to you home with high end equipment and measure:
    -your displays: 1xCCSS per display
    -your colorimeter (no correction) measuring each of these displays: using 1st measurements too you’ll end with 1 x CCMX per display and colorimeter.
    So if you had 2 x i1Displaypros, yours and a friend’s, and 3 displays you’ll end with 3 x CCSS and 6 x CCMX.

Those CCMX are not portable and are limited by that company reference device. Your i1d3 will measure the same as tham for that display with CCMX.
    So if somebody goes to your house with an i1Pro2 for that task using 10nm software and you have some display with narrow spectral spikes like a new Apple or mostly all new widegamuts… invite him to leave your house.

The CCSS accuracy will be linked to firmware sentivity curves matching your aged colorimeter.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS