reasonable results for an inexpensive 32″ 4k IPS monitor?

Home Forums Help and Support reasonable results for an inexpensive 32″ 4k IPS monitor?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

meeotch
    Participant

Reposting this, as my original seems to have gotten stuck awaiting moderation for a few days.  (Mods:  feel free to delete the original.)

I just bought an LG 32UN650-W, and the biggest problem with it, to my eye, is some darkening at the edges of the screen.  It’s not bad enough to notice when looking at most content, only when viewing full screen images with a solid background – so, many/most web pages.  I know that ultimately “acceptable” is whatever I personally can accept…  But still, I’d like to know what’s “normal” for a 32″ panel in this price range (~$500), so that I can determine whether I should try exchanging it for a new one.

I also own the equivalent 27″ inch model (27UK650-W), and I’ve been pretty happy with it so far.  I’ll attach displaycal reports to a separate post below.  While the worst numbers on the 27″ are only marginally worse than the 32″ (4-5%), the edge darkening is visually more irritating on the 32″.  I’m noticing that the ISO criteria show out-of-tolerance spots for both monitors, while the Average Luminance criteria show everything within the nominal tolerance – I’m not sure how to interpret that.

(Also, the 32″ is reporting a gamma of 2.0, which seems weird.)

meeotch
    Participant

Here are the DisplayCal reports – uniformity and “report on calibrated device”, first for the 32″, and then the 27″.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

Uniformity issues looks placed on brightness (delta L, % brightness, up to -20%), but color uniformity (delta C) looks OK for an inexpensive display.
    Look on 2nd combo option to split deltaE (full error) into color & brigtness error.

meeotch
    Participant

Thanks for the response.  Yes – it’s the brightness uniformity that I’m concerned about.  (Also the gamma measurement.)  I’d like to know if these sorts of numbers are to be expected for a panel like this, or if they’re likely to be better on a replacement.

Vincent
    Participant

It’s expected. Even some Eizo CS have up to -10-15% on  corners with uniformity compensation off, but humans do not see “linear”. -15% in cd/m2 value is not -15% visually, you’ll have to converto to L* (relative) or count the number of contrast steps in central cell in grid related to DICOM for an absolute value.

meeotch
    Participant

Thanks.  If I’m understanding this chart correctly, the perceptual change for ~20% drop in cd/m2 from 100% white is perceived as about a 10% drop.  (Eyes being less sensitive to changes in luminence of bright objects, more to changes of dark objects.)  Strange that the edge darkening on the 27″ monitor (~15%) is noticeably less of an issue than the ~20% on the 32″ monitor.  (And also that it seems more noticeable at 100% white than 25% grey.)

But I guess it’s good to know that the 32″ monitor isn’t wildly worse than what I should expect.  I almost wish it was, though – since it would be more emotionally satisfying of an answer.  As it is, I guess I can either just roll the dice on an exchange, or decide to live with it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS