Re-calibration during gaming causing performance problem

Home Forums Help and Support Re-calibration during gaming causing performance problem

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

TimG
    Participant

Hello there and thanks for any help.

I have seen something that seems a bit strange to me and I wondered if there was a way to disable it.

DisplayCal seems to do a calibration during full screen gaming.  I’ll be playing Battlefield 4 in full screen mode and suddenly I’ll have a very noticeable performance spike where my GPUs drop down to 0% usage from the normal 90+%.   I noticed that when I exited the game I looked at displaycal and it said it had recalibrated which had to happen during the gaming.

Is there a way to have displaycal pause any calibration while full screen gaming is going on?

Maybe whatever the calibration does is so minimal there is no way it could be causing these performance spikes.  I don’t know but I am quite sure it did run its calibration right in the middle of the gaming and I also have been having these weird performance issues.

Thanks for any help!

WolfPeace
    Participant

I think you meant that DisplayCal applies vcgt from the ICC profile while you are playing game. I doubt DisplayCal would calibrate without instrument and you telling the program to do it.

Try right clicking DisplayCal notification icon in taskbar. Select Exceptions… . Then go to Add button and select your BF4 exe and  then click OK.

Now when you open BF4 DisplayCal will stop preserving vcgt from ICC profile and let BF4 function properly in terms of accessing GPU LUT, and when you exit BF4 it will continue to check/reapply vcgt from the installed ICC profile.

TimG
    Participant

I think you meant that DisplayCal applies vcgt from the ICC profile while you are playing game. I doubt DisplayCal would calibrate without instrument and you telling the program to do it.

Try right clicking DisplayCal notification icon in taskbar. Select Exceptions… . Then go to Add button and select your BF4 exe and  then click OK.

Now when you open BF4 DisplayCal will stop preserving vcgt from ICC profile and let BF4 function properly in terms of accessing GPU LUT, and when you exit BF4 it will continue to check/reapply vcgt from the installed ICC profile.

Hello there and thanks for the reply.  Yes I just was realizing that I misspoke and I meant that it re-APPLIED the calibration rather than re-calibrated.

I was on another system at the time that didn’t have displaycal and forgot what the actual wording was, my apologies on the confusion!

That is awesome that you can do that, I’m going to add all my games to the exceptions then.

So I bet it is possible that somehow it was interfering the gaming performance (it’d only be a lag spike of like 2-3 seconds max).

I am going to be very happy if this is what fixes it, woohoo!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS