Re-calibrating (updating?) my calibration profile

Home Forums Help and Support Re-calibrating (updating?) my calibration profile

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

MajesticBeardsman
    Participant

Hello!

I calibrated my monitor sometime last year and I just found out that monitors can drift over time so I am keen to re-calibrate/update the calibration.

How do I go about doing this accurately? Do I start fresh; i.e ‘settings’ is currently my previous profile so do I change this to Default Gamma 2.2 or…?

Also the testchart; this is also currently selected as my previous profile, what do I select this time?

Many thanks!

MB

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

as the old profile is from a year ago, I’d just redo the whole calibration and profile (e.g. with the last profile selected, you can use the previous settings).

MajesticBeardsman
    Participant

So once I’ve done re-done the profile, how do I then go about keeping it ‘updated’, if that makes sense? The process for me took a couple of hours (was worth it, my prints came out 100% accurate).

Florian Höch
    Administrator

A few hours? What’s the instrument you’re using, and what calibration speed/profiling testchart size?

MajesticBeardsman
    Participant

I’m using the Spyder 5 Express with the software downloaded via DisplayCal. I have attached a photo with testcharts etc.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Spyders aren’t exactly fast. Reducing the amount of patches will definitely reduce the time needed. Calibration speed “fast” and the default number of 175 profiling patches.

MajesticBeardsman
    Participant

Will that still give as accurate results?

MajesticBeardsman
    Participant

I have a follow up question. I re did the profile from scratch, worked out fine but when I ran the verification tool (I did it twice just for fun) I noticed I got a vastly different results.  See attachments.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Will that still give as accurate results?

Not quite, but the difference is probably academic so I wouldn’t worry about it especially with the Spyder.

I re did the profile from scratch, worked out fine but when I ran the verification tool (I did it twice just for fun) I noticed I got a vastly different results.

Doesn’t look that different to me (only looking at the overview obviously), average is ~0.6 dE in both cases, and max ~3 vs ~4 on a dark Rec. 709 blue (which is probably slightly out of gamut on your display anyway). The Spyder having a measurement inaccuracy for darker colors of around 1 dE seems in line with its expected performance.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS