Questions regarding ICC profiles on Windows 11

Home Forums Help and Support Questions regarding ICC profiles on Windows 11

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Sir-Coleslaw
    Participant

Hello, I have a question about the ICC profiles for SDR and HDR and the profile loader.

I recently got a colour checker display plus from Calibrite. When trying it out together with DisplayCal and my new AW3423DW (QD-OLED) monitor, I noticed that it makes a difference for Windows 11 whether I have the HDR mode on when calibrating or use the SDR mode. Depending on which mode is active, either a normal “ICC profile” or an “ICC profile (extended colour)” is created in the colour management.

I also noticed that the respective profile is only active when I am in HDR or SDR mode. For example, if I have created and assigned an SDR profile, then this profile is only active in SDR and not in HDR and vice versa. Windows 11’s own colour management seems to make a difference in which mode the profile was created (SDR or HDR) and which mode is currently active.

Now my question: Does the DisplayCal Profile Loader take this into account? That is, does it take into account which mode is currently active (HDR or SDR) and then load the corresponding profile for the corresponding mode?

I currently have two such profiles created and stored, one for HDR mode and one for SDR mode, and have switched off the Profile Loader so that Windows takes over the management, even though this is rather unreliable.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS