Questions calibrating miniLED display

Home Forums Help and Support Questions calibrating miniLED display

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

vladx
    Participant

Hi,

I am the owner of a MSI Creator 17  laptop and I’m considering getting an X-rite i1Display Pro colorimeter to calibrate it, especially wanting to do it so I can use Linux on this laptop which has 99% DCI-P3 coverage since there’s no MSI True Color application for Linux to force sRGB emulation mode.

My questions are:

1) Will I be able to restrict the display to sRGB range using an icc profile under Linux?

2) Can i determine the type of display using the colorimeter? I’m asking because this laptop has a miniLED display which from my research can’t be chosen as a calibration target in either i1Profiler or DisplayCal.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant
    1. IDNK, AFAIK no
    2. No, you need to know it before measuring. Maybe you’ll get a hint checking EDRs in “MSI True Color application” fro Windows, if available.

vladx
    Participant

Thanks for answering, Vincent.  So the best course of action is to calibrate my display at its native gamut which is DCI-P3 and use only color managed applications that can display the colors accurately even if the source is sRGB only. And also to avoid saturated colors on the desktop I should use a window manager instead of a DE under Linux.

Now since I can’t figure out the calibration target for my display, I guess I should just try all the LED profiles and compare the results after calibration.

Vincent
    Participant

Did a fast check on MSI app (4.1.6.0 signed on august). It does not support WLED PFS or any other modern LED for retail i1displaypro colorimeter (excluding jokes about C6 offuscation as business model)
    It only has GB-LED and RGBLED for that colorimeter and if it has very high P3 coverage (>95) it cannot be GBLED and RGBLED is not used anymore so it seems that (again) vendor does not support actual display backlight.

Use RGBLED or WLED PFS 95% P3 flavor. You cannot use others like WhiteLED, CCFL and expect good results.

People complained a lot about all these i1Profiler variants for HW calibration but going to Spectracal… definitely they jumped on the wrong boat for users.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by Vincent.

vladx
    Participant

Ok so you’re saying I should do the calibration using i1Profiler? I was thinking of calibrating using DisplayCal since it supports Linux unlike i1Profiler/MSI True Color.

Vincent
    Participant

I have not said such thing. Re read again.

vladx
    Participant

Got it. I’ll do a calibration using DisplayCal on Linux to generate a DCI-P3 ICC profile and another one for Windows using MSI True Color which generates a 3D LUT in order to  fix the bluish tint in the DCI-P3 color mode.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS