Questions about the calibration process

Home Forums Help and Support Questions about the calibration process

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

MRkuuu
    Participant

hi,everyone.

This may be a stupid question,I just bought a 95% adobe rgb gamut monitor and i1 display pro,and calibrated it for first time today,but something seems to be wrong .

This is my process,I restored monitor to the factory settings,  and clicked “Calibrate&profile” button, adjusted the rgb gain controls ,then automatically performed the next steps,finally produced a good result.But after I adjusted the color gamut to adobe rgb or srgb mode, I click “measurement report ” button,then seemed to produce a bad report.

I tried to calibrate directly in adobe rgb/srgb  mode, but found that rgb gain cannot be adjusted. Is there some wrong with my process, or I have a misunderstanding of the report.I don’t know where the problem is, what should I do to get correct colors in adobe rgb\srgb mode.

Thanks.

• This topic was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by MRkuuu.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

hi,everyone.

This may be a stupid question,I just bought a 95% adobe rgb gamut monitor

Looks like you should have not bought a widegamut without having a little color management knowledge in advancce.

This is my process,I restored monitor to the factory settings,  and clicked “Calibrate&profile” button, adjusted the rgb gain controls ,then automatically performed the next steps,finally produced a good result.But after I adjusted the color gamut to adobe rgb or srgb mode, I click “measurement report ” button,then seemed to produce a bad report.

Profile is only valid for the settings used to create it. It’s like a taylor made suit. If you change monitor behavior, like limiting colorspace, that profile would be useless for those OSD modes.

1 profile <=> 1 OSD mode, without modifiying its parameters.

I tried to calibrate directly in adobe rgb/srgb  mode, but found that rgb gain cannot be adjusted. Is there some wrong with my process, or I have a misunderstanding of the report.I don’t know where the problem is, what should I do to get correct colors in adobe rgb\srgb mode.

Thet is your second mistake after the first one (buy a widegamut without knowledge): to buy an useless lowcost widegamut monitor with locked controls in factory simulated colorspaces.

Anyway, all whitepoint settings you cannot correct because you have no access to OSD or it is locked, will be corrected in GPU like any other grey, but limiting max output of 1 or 2 channels, loosing soem unique grey levels. That  leads to banding unless you have an AMD or apply some of the ditheirng tricks on nvidia or use DMWLUT.
    Calibrating a RGB gain locked OSD mode is like calibrating a laptop, or an imac: let GPU handle it (at the cost of loosing a little contrast and unique grey levels)

MRkuuu
    Participant

Hi vincent.Thank you for pointing out my mistakes. I have learned something about color management, which is obviously not enough.
    My understanding is that if I want to get accurate colors on my low-end widegamut monitor, I should always stay in a fully controllable mode such as factory settings,  I think I will buy a real high-end monitor after a period of study.

Vincent
    Participant

If custom mode verification looks ok and uniformity is ok, it can be used in color managed apps.
    For other uses you’ll have to rely on sRGB mode or GPU assisted equivalent solutions.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS