Questions about Calibrating a Wide Gamut Monitor

Home Forums Help and Support Questions about Calibrating a Wide Gamut Monitor

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Vincent
    Participant

So calibrate with the monitor in its sRGB mode, even though I’ll be using it in Wide Gamut + and have a WCG specific correction for the display?

No, calibrate & profile twice.
    -Generic full native gamut for color managed apps that can use extended gamut bigger than sRGB
    -sRGB/rec709 for non color managed apps => if you use full native gamut here you’ll se things “wrong” (another subject is if you do not care about this)

If so, would I want to use the SDR correction for my display instead of the WCG one as well??

No, never. All colors that an emulated gamut (like sRGB mode) can show are a linear combination of native gamut, hence covered by a linear combination of RGB channels in spectral power distribution in native gamut CCSS.

CCSS hsould be ALWAYS taken at native full  gamut.

Samaritan
    Participant

Three days at this and something still isn’t adding up. No matter what I try the calibration comes out extremely washed out, and compared to two other displays I’ve now calibrated with this meter and DisplayCAL, it looks completely wrong. Even when I tried creating an sRGB profile, it still came out looking extremely washed out, so I don’t think it has to do with the wide gamut nature of this display. Validating the factory calibration showed it to be too dark, which I expected, but the results I’m getting after calibration aren’t just “a little brighter”, they’re fully washing out darks. I’m talking the color #010101 is a medium grey.

Vincent
    Participant

I’m talking the color #010101 is a medium grey.

It is not.

Predicted:

RGB 000              xyY 0.3117; 0.3414; 0.0427 -> 0.08cd
    RGB 131313    xyY 0.3146; 0.3306; 0.1792 -> 0.34cd

Actual:

RGB 000              xyY 0.2553; 0.2568; 0.0423 -> 0.08cd
    RGB 131313    xyY 0.3081; 0.3207; 0.1414 -> 0.28cd

Data from your own report 200cdm2 @D65.
    An 850:1 @D65 IPS may “bend” 2.2 gamma in RGB 13 to Y=0.2603 (normalized) which is  almost twice yours… as expected from a VA.

If black level is too high for you.. just lower white level without modifying contrast and it will go down. Instead of 200cd/m2 choose 120. If you compare different screen at different white brightness and they have the same contrast, black will look poorer in the brighter white. Contrast window is almost static, you move white and black goes with it up or down.

Display is working properly and as expected.

Vincent
    Participant

Also as with any well behaved display consider using single curve matrix profile.
    It makes things easier for color management engines (banding, truncation) at the expense of a little accuracy no matter if they are Adobe or Firfox 78

Samaritan
    Participant

I can only speak for what’s in front of me, but I’m telling you that all shadow detail is completely lost post-calibration, with near-blacks turning into near-greys. Calibrating at a lower brightness such as the standard 120cd/m2 doesn’t change a thing, continuing to behave in exactly the same way as the 200 calibration does. I also have my other displays calibrated to 200cd/m2 themselves and they’re perfectly able to produce a full gamut of blacks and dark greys, which considering that they’re IPS panels with nearly 1/3rd the contrast ratio of this monitor doesn’t seem like it should be the case.

I’ll give the single curve + matrix profile a try, I’m running a new calibration as I type this.

With regards to corrections, is there any advantage to using a spectral or a matrix correction if they’re otherwise identical and support the meter I’m using? I’m just trying to eliminate variables here, and I’ve been using matrix corrections so far.

Vincent
    Participant

You own reports do not support your claims.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS