Questions about ASUS PG35V

Home Forums Help and Support Questions about ASUS PG35V

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Samaritan
    Participant

I’ve had my PG35V calibrated in a “good enough” state for some time now, but I just did a fresh install of Windows and would like to use that as an excuse to do things as properly as possible, so I’ve got a few questions I’d finally like cleared up before I lock in a calibration.

This monitor is mainly used for gaming and watching video/movies, mostly in a dark room, and I’m using a Calibrite ColorChecker Display Plus (i1 DisplayPro, ColorMunki) meter.

1. Setting: sRGB, 2.2, or 2.4? I’ve always defaulted to 2.2, but I know 2.4 is aimed more at dark room viewing. I’ve never gone sRGB, but perhaps I should?
    2. sRGB OSD Setting: I’m assuming I want to keep my monitor’s sRGB clamp turned off, and have it set to Wide Gamut.
    3. Correction: Should I use the LCD PFS Phosphor WLED, LCD Quantum Dot, or a custom Matrix correction with a resolution of 1.0nm? There’s also Spectral corrections for my monitor with a resolution of 3.3nm.
    4. Brightness: I like a bright screen, but should I calibrate at the recommended 120cd/m and then increase brightness after the fact (around 200cd/m), or calibrate at 200cd/m?
    5. FALD: I use this monitor with Full Array Local Dimming enabled. Similar to my last question, should I disable FALD while calibrating then turn it on, or calibrate with it enabled?
    6. HDR: This monitor supports HDR, but I don’t know whether that’s something that can even be calibrated for. Does Windows have an specific .icc/.icm profile for HDR content that I can calibrate? If so, does DisplayCal support that?

To anyone who took the time to read through this, thank you so much. I’d really appreciate some clear answers to these questions, as most of these are things I’ve found little concrete answers to.

• This topic was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by Samaritan.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon   Calibrite Display Plus HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

1 2.2
    2 you can use DWMLUT, AMD driver, novideo_SRGB. Read their threads.
    3 Plot the custom 3nm and see if it fits one of the generic 1nm corrections
    4 Whatever you find confortable
    5 Usually you can’t disable that feature. Since it is FALD zone size dependent it may behave badly. IDNK static contrast ratio. You can try measuring very dark patches surrounding by dark or white backgrounds and see how bad it is.
    6 “as is”, nothing to be done there, although you may try an HDR->HDR LUT3D and load it into DWMLUT, read its thread.

Samaritan
    Participant

1 2.2
    2 you can use DWMLUT, AMD driver, novideo_SRGB. Read their threads.
    3 Plot the custom 3nm and see if it fits one of the generic 1nm corrections
    4 Whatever you find confortable
    5 Usually you can’t disable that feature. Since it is FALD zone size dependent it may behave badly. IDNK static contrast ratio. You can try measuring very dark patches surrounding by dark or white backgrounds and see how bad it is.
    6 “as is”, nothing to be done there, although you may try an HDR->HDR LUT3D and load it into DWMLUT, read its thread.

Thanks Vincent, appreciate the help! Couple of quick follow-ups:

So it’s best to match your monitor (2.2) with the DisplayCAL setting (also 2.2)? If I wanted to go 2.4 down the road, just change that on my monitor side, no need to re-calibrate?

You say to go with what I’m comfortable with, so I’m guessing by that that it makes no difference calibrating at the brightness I intend on using versus calibrating lower (120cd/m) and then turning it up post-calibration?

Thanks again!

Vincent
    Participant

So it’s best to match your monitor (2.2) with the DisplayCAL setting (also 2.2)? If I wanted to go 2.4 down the road, just change that on my monitor side, no need to re-calibrate?

No, full recalibration, unless you want 2.4 for video using a LUT3D compatible player. If that is the situation you want same display ICC profile (1 calibration) switching LUT3D made from the same display profile but diferent origin profile (rec709 g2.2, g2.4) will work.

I intend on using versus calibrating lower (120cd/m) and then turning it up post-calibration?

White point may drift doing that. How much? IDNK, test it, it depends on each display.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by Vincent.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS