Question about icc profiles and media players

Home Forums Help and Support Question about icc profiles and media players

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Diabolus Ex
    Participant

Hi,

so I’ve used DisplayCAL to generate a Profile for my monitor and I’m quite happy with the result. But now I’m wondering I it is enough to activate the profile with the display cal profile loader or should I also load it in other applications as well?

For example mpv, my main video player has an option –icc-profile-auto to load the current default icc profile. If I enable this option the video looks brighter. Now I’m not sure if the profile is loaded twice  or this is the way it is supposed to look.

And whit madvr as well. Is it better to generate a 3lut for madvr instead of using the profile loader? What are the benefits?

• This topic was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by Diabolus Ex.
    • This topic was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by Diabolus Ex.

Vincent
    Participant

And whit madvr as well. Is it better to generate a 3lut for madvr instead of using the profile loader? What are the benefits?

Profile loader = 1D LUT to get neutral grey (and maybe fix whitepoint). Limited by your HW & driver capabilities (some devices truncate to 8bit without dithering leaving bands in grey gradients in non color managed enviroment).
    Then your player with ICC support uses profile info to transform Rec709 content (typical video source as example) to whatever your display supports (thanks to display ICC information )

madVR LUT3D = all color transformations are done in GPU shader (usually madvr is used with GPU reset to no calibration), usually at high precision then downgraded with dithering to whatever bitdepth you display supports in its current mode.

In both situations accuracy of correction depends on accuracy of profile description of actual monitor behavior.

madVR appoach is better but it needs more computing power, for example on some integrated GPU models it will run very slow even without LUT3D calibration.
    For those systems best to use player iCC transformations like in MediaPlayerClassic family or your mpv.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS