Question about Gamma.

Home Forums General Discussion Question about Gamma.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Isaac Barahona
    Participant

I have a high contrast monitor(2990:1) and I was wondering to what gamma should I calibrate it, my use case is just watching movies and videos with the mpv video player. In the documentation it reads:

So if you are displaying images encoded to the sRGB standard, or displaying video through the calibration, just setting the gamma curve to sRGB or REC 709 (respectively) is probably not what you want! What you probably want to do, is to set the gamma curve to about gamma 2.4

My room is moderately to dimly lit.

So the question is, should I calibrate to 2.4 gamma? And if yes, what would be the correct gamma settings? Absolute or Relative? Black output offset %

Vincent
    Participant

MPV has support for color management as a suboption for -vo… although as with many othr command line apps it may be counterintuitive for some people. With a color managed app it does not matter which TRC has your display as long as such TRC is recorded on the ICC.

For not color managed video player apps (or apps with color management disabled) your choice seems fine… as long as display colorspace matches Rec709 (and a lot of new VA multimedia displays are P3, not sRGB)

Isaac Barahona
    Participant

Thanks Vincent, I know mpv is color managed, that’s one of the reasons I prefer it over other video players.

But I’m still confused on the gamma settings, you say a gamma of 2.4 is fine but what about the other settings like Relative vs Absolute or the Black Output Offset percentage?

“Absolute” gamma results in an actual output at 50% input which doesn’t match that of an idealized power curve (unless the black level is zero).

So I guess I should use Relative gamma because of the non-zero black level of my display? (VA panel)

And Black Output Offset? I should leave it at 100% for a Relative tone curve, right?

Thanks again for your response.

Vincent
    Participant

Thanks Vincent, I know mpv is color managed, that’s one of the reasons I prefer it over other video players.

Easier with madVR.

But I’m still confused on the gamma settings, you say a gamma of 2.4 is fine but what about the other settings like Relative vs Absolute or the Black Output Offset percentage?

“Absolute” gamma results in an actual output at 50% input which doesn’t match that of an idealized power curve (unless the black level is zero).

So I guess I should use Relative gamma because of the non-zero black level of my display? (VA panel)

And Black Output Offset? I should leave it at 100% for a Relative tone curve, right?

Thanks again for your response.

If you use color management… it does not matter what you calibrate display TRC. It is related to what you say/configure about source/content.

Isaac Barahona
    Participant

Thanks Vincent, I ended up using Gamma 2.2 relative.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS