Question about 3dlut for videos

Home Forums Help and Support Question about 3dlut for videos

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have a calibration for srgb, and when I view videos either through VLC or chrome they look similar/normal.
    If I then create an srgb 3dlut for madvr and watch that same video through mediaplayer classic it looks a little too bright and colourful in dark scenes and only looks the same as everything else if I use rec1886 3dlut.
    I was wondering how this works, why do the videos look like rec1886 in other non colormanaged video players while I’m calibrated to srgb, and why does using an srgb 3dlut on madvr look wrong?

Also to extend from this, will using an srgb reshade 3dlut in gaming also produce incorrect results?

MW
    Participant

What’s your display? What settings did you use create the 3DLUT?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Dell s2419h

MW
    Participant

Try setting the tone curve to unmodified in the 3DLUT creator. Keep in mind that Chromes color management is currently broken(sometimes it works with single curve+matrix), and VLC doesn’t support color management. So using apps like Firefox and MadVR makes more sense for comparisons because they’re fully color managed. Using the sRGB tone curve in calibration is kind of work-around for non-color managed apps like Paint.Net and Keyscape. But a fully color managed app will be more capable of handling near-black than the GPU. The BT.1886 standard specifies a contrast ratio of 2000:1 so it’s often preferred to use a gamma 2.2 tone curve for a typical 1000:1 IPS display. It gets worse when using the Spyder range or spectros for profiling because they tend to report a higher black level than reality. But I don’t know what measurement device you have. If you’re still getting different results you should definitely do a bug report.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS