Purpose of making 3dlut for madvr

Home Forums General Discussion Purpose of making 3dlut for madvr

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

ching1202
    Participant

Recently I purchase a new monitor and calibrator, hoping that after some time and effort I can enjoy a more beautiful graphic and color for movies. I create 3DLUT for madvr using the default setting in displaycal and installed it into madvr. However the result is not quite satisfying.

Compare to the uncalibrated video, the one with 3dlut seems more pale. I wonder if this’s the “true” or “most accurate” color, or I just make some mistakes. Is there a way to create a profile for madvr (only when plays movies) to show more detail in the dark without losing saturation? or I just have misunderstanding the purpose of calibration.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Compare to the uncalibrated video, the one with 3dlut seems more pale. I wonder if this’s the “true” or “most accurate” color

If your display gamut is larger than Rec. 709, then colors will have to be desaturated to a certain extent. This is probably the effect you’re observing.

ching1202
    Participant

How can I determine the most suitable gamut for me in this case?

ching1202
    Participant

update: My monitor gamut is Standard Color Gamut (99% sRGB, ~72% NTSC)

MW
    Participant

Try regenerating the 3D LUT with these settings –  gamma: 2.2-2.4 Relative

ching1202
    Participant

Thanks for your reply, but it actually didn’t change much. Although I can see more detail in shadow,  the color of other things are tuned down quite a lot. Especially in some “bright” color movie like Avatar.

There are some screencap from Interstellar with different setting, 1. Original (no 3DLUT), 2. Default (3D LUT w/ default setting) and 3. Gamma 2.2 Relative, as you suggested.

I dont know if you can see the difference from these screencap. If so, can you help me identify the problem setting? Thanks so much!

• This reply was modified 7 years, 6 months ago by ching1202.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

MW
    Participant

You can tell from the screenshots that the defaults are working as intended, preventing shadow detail from being buried by the non-zero black point of your display. Gamma 2.2 relative works similarly (with black output offset at 0%) but allows tweaking overall gamma to taste. Florian is probably right, your display may have oversaturated colors, what you’re seeing saturation-wise is closer to what the producers intended. If you are viewing in a dark room you could try gamma 2.3 or 2.4 relative, this will give an impression of higher saturation.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 6 months ago by MW.

ching1202
    Participant

Thank you. I’m using Dell U2717D with Spyder5 for calibration. To be honest for some movies (like Avatar, or Life of Pi), I prefer the original one rather than calibrated one. LoL

Also, when I check the screen shot on iPhone, the color seems more balanced. It was more Grey-ish on my monitor. I may need to study those setting on my monitor too.

MW
    Participant

Many things can affect saturation and contrast. We don’t know what your Dell U2717D or iPhone looks like uncalibrated, so lets start simple. Did you try gamma 2.3 or 2.4?  If you haven’t set RGB levels doing so may increase saturation(technically gamut) after re-calibrating. You can also check if W-LED instrument mode was selected.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 6 months ago by MW.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS