Proper Calibration of a Wide Gamut Display

Home Forums Help and Support Proper Calibration of a Wide Gamut Display

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Lockjaw333
    Participant

I’m calibrating an Acer XB273K that has a wide color gamut with 90% dci-p3 specified coverage. It also has an sRGB emulation mode available in the OSD settings.

I’m using a colormunki display colorimeter to calibrate with DisplayCal. Should I enable the sRGB emulation mode for proper calibration, or can the monitor be left in its native color gamut? Should I be calibrating to a different standard if using the native wide gamut?

I did run a calibration to 6500K and gamma 2.2 target using both native color gamut and the sRGB emulation mode. Both had satisfactory measurement reports vs sRGB target (see attached). The calibration with native gamut looks much more intense though, which I guess makes sense?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Note: first report is with sRGB emulation enabled, second is with it off/ native wide gamut.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I’m using a colormunki display colorimeter to calibrate with DisplayCal. Should I enable the sRGB emulation mode for proper calibration, or can the monitor be left in its native color gamut?

If you are mainly using color managed applications, I’d recommend native gamut.

Vincent
    Participant

” LCD White LED IPS (WLED AC LG Samsung) <WLEDFamily_07Feb11.ccss>” is meant for normal sRGB WLED displays.

Current multimedia P3 displays without Quantum Dot are very likely to use W-LED PFS phosphor backlight. Spectral correction “Panasonic VVX17P051J00” bundled with DisplayCAL fro i1d3 colorimeters store that backlight.
    Depending on actual sensivity curves stored in your i1d3 colorimeter you may not notice changes in whitepoint using WLED correction or the other one more suitable for those P3 WLEDs.

If you want to play games, it’s very likely that you want to use sRGB mode for that task and switch between OSD modes and profiles with DisplayCAL tray app.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS