Profile no longer loads on win startup. Profileloader.exe (sp?) seems missing.

Home Forums Help and Support Profile no longer loads on win startup. Profileloader.exe (sp?) seems missing.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Darkmatter
    Participant

I tried reinstalling DisplayCal but that didn’t help. I can open DisplayCal and manually load it but I can’t find the loader program to put in the start folder. The profile itself is still where it should be and windows shows it as loaded even though I know it isn’t.  Also, it says theres an update but after I click to accept the user agreement it seems to just close and stop doing anything. When I restart DisplayCal is it again say there is an available update.

Thanks!

Edit: Forgot to add that when I manually load the profile I do install it and tell DisplayCal to always load it when windows starts and to handle its management but as I said earlier, the loader program is missing in action. 🙂

• This topic was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by Darkmatter.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

there is no profileloader.exe as part of DisplayCAL, the profiloader executable is named DisplayCAL-apply-profiles.exe.

Also, it says theres an update but after I click to accept the user agreement it seems to just close and stop doing anything.

You can just manually download the new version from the website.

Darkmatter
    Participant

Thanks. I put a shortcut to the loader in the start folder. The full install still closed until I saved my work and closed Photoshop and turned off Avast Shield Protection. Not sure which of the 2 was the problem but it worked after that.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Avast Shield Protection

Very likely that. I wonder what AV vendors are doing. They should give a bit of leeway to digitally signed software.

Darkmatter
    Participant

Something very odd is going on. I put a shortcut to the profile loader exe in the start folder but when I rebooted my computer the profile didn’t load. I checked the startup folder and the shortcut was still there but it said the actual exe file was missing. Sure enough, I went to the DisplayCal folder and that exe file is no longer in the folder. I can still run DisplayCal and manually load the profile but I have to do that every time I reboot.

OK I just ran a full search of my entire computer indexed or not and only the shortcut exists, not the actual file. I’ve never had something like this happen with any other program. Would AV auto-delete a file without even telling me??

Thanks

Florian Höch
    Administrator

It certainly didn’t delete itself, so someone or something must have done it.

Darkmatter
    Participant

Well I’m the only user so it had to be a program. I’ll see if Avast has a forum and inquire about it.

If I hear anything I’ll let you know.

Darkmatter
    Participant

OK it was Avast moving the profile loader to the virus chest when I rebooted. It also moved the main DisplayCal.exe to the virus chest 1 time, but not the others. I added the DisplayCal folder to the exclusion list and it no longer deletes the files BUT I still don’t get the profile loaded. I get a log with this error.

raceback (most recent call last):
    File “DisplayCAL-apply-profiles-launcher”, line 31, in
    File “subprocess.pyc”, line 16, in __init__
    File “subprocess26.pyc”, line 719, in __init__
    File “subprocess26.pyc”, line 967, in _execute_child
    WindowsError: [Error 2] The system cannot find the file specified: ‘D:\\DisplayCAL\\DisplayCAL-apply-profiles.exe’

The only thing I did on my end was put a shortcut to the profile loader into the start folder that you can find in the Windows Start button.

I’m using Win 10 64x BTW.

Thanks

Florian Höch
    Administrator

WindowsError: [Error 2] The system cannot find the file specified: ‘D:\\DisplayCAL\\DisplayCAL-apply-profiles.exe’

Well, the file’s not there. Please do a clean re-install.

Darkmatter
    Participant

I verified that the file was there so I had a suspicion it was UAC blocking it. While looking to see if UAC had exemptions (which it doesn’t btw) I read that the x86 and 64bit Program Files folders are considered “trusted” folders. I had installed DC on the D drive to save space on my SSD. After uninstalling and reinstalling in the x86 folder everything is working again.

Thanks for your help troubleshooting this!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS