Profile Information Viewer: Interpreting the Gamut display

Home Forums Help and Support Profile Information Viewer: Interpreting the Gamut display

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Zian
    Participant

The DisplayCAL Profile information window Calibration curves display tells me that blue signals going into the profile are exiting with a much lower value (e.g. 122->76, 184->128, 255->196) and the Gamut display shows that I’m missing just about everything above the 50 line on the b* axis in the CIE a*b* color space.

Based on this information, would it be correct to deduce that the monitor will not be able to show colors like the background color on the DisplayCAL home page in the “Get DisplayCAL” section? Wikipedia says b* goes from “blue to yellow” so shades of yellow would also be right out.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by Florian Höch. Reason: Change title as per suggestion
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Zian
    Participant

I neglected to edit the title before posting; if possible, this thread would be better titled “Profile Information Viewer: Interpreting the Gamut display”

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Change rendering intent from absolute to relative colorimetric on the plot and you can make a whitepoint-agnostic assessment of the gamut. It looks to be close to sRGB, judging from the above. Your issue is not blue, but (potentially) the saturated green-yellow-red regions of the gamut. The blue primary being quite far out also tells me this profile was probably not done with the most accurate of measurement devices, and the whitepoint seems excessively blueish, even with the calibration reducing the blue channel (and the 8-bit quantization errors in the calibration curves tell me this profile has probably been created using DataColor software).

Zian
    Participant

You are completely correct.

I was unable to see many shades of yellow and things like folder icons in Windows explorer were almost invisible.

The calibration software being used was still being debugged and the device had not been properly calibrated.

Finally, I was using a calibration system (likely) even worse than DataColor. I was using a smartphone camera’s RAW output.

Thanks to your feedback and other sources of information, I made a strong case that the application was buggy. After some changes and calibrator calibration, my monitor color profile is a lot saner and the monitor looks much more reasonable.

Thank you for your work with DisplayCAL and making it possible to see the guts of ICM files so easily. I hope to acquire a device someday that allows me to use the rest of your software.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS