Profile gets unloaded and reloaded intermittently causing noticeable change

Home Forums Help and Support Profile gets unloaded and reloaded intermittently causing noticeable change

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

CraftyClown
    Participant

Hi Florian,

I’m currently using DisplayCal on all of my machines, both at home and in the office, however with one of the devices I’m having an issue.

The machine in question is a 2018 Razer Blade advanced. At random times throughout the day the profile will momentarily unload causing another profile to show for 1 to 2 seconds and then reload itself again.

Certain actions are more likely to trigger this to happen, such as a hub or hard drive being connected or disconnected, not always though.

I’m not really sure the best way to troubleshoot this issue. Is it possible something is conflicting with the profile loader? and if so is there a downside to loading the profile via Windows OS instead?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Probably another software component (possibly a display driver utility) interfering with the videoLUT. Common culprits are utilities like “ASUS Splendid” or similar utilities with “color enhancement” modes, which are often bundled with laptops. Deactivating them should help.

CraftyClown
    Participant

Thanks Florian,

I can’t find any obvious suspect at present.

What is the downside to loading the profile from windows rather than your loader?

Cheers

CraftyClown
    Participant

So I’m really scratching my head here Florian.

I have searched and I can’t find any kind of profile loader that might be interfering with the DisplayCAL one, however the profile still seems to be randomly disengaging and reengaging throughout the day.

This is the only one of my four Windows machines having this issue.

Is there a way I might be able to troubleshoot what is causing this?

CraftyClown
    Participant

Hey Florian,

really sorry to keep bugging you with this but the problem still remains.

I’m not convinced there is something else trying to load another profile, it seems more like the DisplayCAL profile loader is unable to reload the profile and the un-calibrated screen is being displayed.

I have also noticed that any time this occurs when the device manager is open, I see the list of devices get refreshed. Therefore certain things are highly likely to trigger the calibration disappearing such as connecting or disconnecting drives.

Is there any way you can think of, that I might be able to troubleshoot this issue?

Worst case scenario and I am unable to fix this, what exactly are the downsides to using Windows to load the calibration? I have seen you mention that it is less accuarate, but quite how bad would it be to use the calibration in this way?

Thanks for your time

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I’m not convinced there is something else trying to load another profile, it seems more like the DisplayCAL profile loader is unable to reload the profile and the un-calibrated screen is being displayed.

For re-loading to be visible, unloading of the calibration by another entity on the system has to happen first.

CraftyClown
    Participant

Do you have any suggestions Florian?

I’m scratching my head trying to work this out.

If I am fighting against something else trying to mess with the profile, can you think of a way I can work out what is doing it.

Short of that I am going to have to give up on the DisplayCAL loader 🙁

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Short of that I am going to have to give up on the DisplayCAL loader

You can do that, but then nothing will reload the calibration when it gets lost.

CraftyClown
    Participant

Short of that I am going to have to give up on the DisplayCAL loader

You can do that, but then nothing will reload the calibration when it gets lost.

I don’t want to, but I’m not sure what else to do?

If I set Windows to load the profile I am still seeing the problem, but only for a split second. With DisplayCAL the profile is removed for a couple of seconds each time and is very noticeable.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS