Profile for wide gamut display

Home Forums General Discussion Profile for wide gamut display

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

ygoe
    Participant

Hello,

I have a new Lenovo laptop with a “100% DCI-P3” display and then freshly installed Windows 11, DisplayCAL and others. The colours look very strong here, especially reds and greens. With my Spyder 5 colorimeter I was able to create a profile that at least fixes the white point from the native 5000 to 5500 K to the desired 6500 K. The profile also leads to correct colours in Affinity Photo and Firefox (with custom setting) and Chrome. But not elsewhere in Windows, like the desktop wallpaper or the taskbar icons. Also, the gamma value is still at 1.7 instead of the desired 2.2, even in Firefox with colour management enabled. (Used the web-based EIZO monitor test to determine that.)

So what are my options here? I’ve read about some “ACM” thing in Windows 11 since October 2022, but that doesn’t work here. I’ve added that preview registry key as described but nothing changed. Any other options?

I want the display to show proper sRGB colours and not too intense colours. Is it only possible within special colour-managed applications? Wide-gamut displays are somehow annoying.

What’s the use of DisplayCAL’s own profile loader, BTW? I’ve tried both and the only difference I noticed is that DisplayCAL’s loader takes 5 seconds to actually load the profile after selecting it in Windows’ display settings, whereas the OS loader does it immediately. Why should I use that slow separate software? DisplayCAL’s setup claims that the OS method is of worse quality but I don’t see any difference anywhere. The desktop has too strong colours either way.

Vincent
    Participant

Hello,

With my Spyder 5 colorimeter

Not reliable, measure with widegamut LED or RGB LED preset in Spyder combo in the upper right of 1st tab

Also, the gamma value is still at 1.7 instead of the desired 2.2, even in Firefox with colour management enabled. (Used the web-based EIZO monitor test to determine that.)

Not reliable test. Spyder5 should be able to measure gamma. Use that.

So what are my options here? I’ve read about some “ACM” thing in Windows 11 since October 2022, but that doesn’t work here. I’ve added that preview registry key as described but nothing changed. Any other options?

DMWLUT, simulate sRGB, set sRGB as display profile in OS after simulation is active.

if laptop has an nvidia based gpu you can try novidoe_sRGB, but i’m not sure how it haves with hybrif graphics. Same for AMD but in AMD sRGB simulation is in driver

I want the display to show proper sRGB colours and not too intense colours. Is it only possible within special colour-managed applications? Wide-gamut displays are somehow annoying.

DWMLUT
    novideo_sRGB
    AMD control panel

Some vendors like MSI hay software to do that, INDK if Lenovo does.

What’s the use of DisplayCAL’s own profile loader, BTW?

DisplayCAL or i1Profiler or whatever GPU calibration loader only calibrates grey ramp and creates ICC for color managed apps. That’s all.

I’ve tried both and the only difference I noticed is that DisplayCAL’s loader takes 5 seconds to actually load the profile after selecting it in Windows’ display settings, whereas the OS loader does it immediately. Why should I use that slow separate software? DisplayCAL’s setup claims that the OS method is of worse quality but I don’t see any difference anywhere. The desktop has too strong colours either way.

Windows GPU loader is innacuarte an even woth proper hardware, high bitdepth LUTs + dithered causes banding… at least in W10. IDNK in W11. On a laptop with iGPU you’d have banding anyway.

S Simeonov
    Participant

Why is dwm_lut always the first choice for widegamut displays? It is banned in some game servers, and it has a higher load on the gpu…Why is novideo_srgb always a second choice?

ygoe
    Participant

Thank you for your replies. I went through the first post and noticed that I could update my AMD software. I chose the PRO edition over the Adrenalin edition because it sounded more suitable for serious work instead of unhealthy things. 😉 It has a number of options and the ones under the tab “Create”, “Display” are a bit strange. I needed to enable “Custom color” but immediately disable “Color temperature” again. That second one generates way off temperatures, they use a different Kelvin scale or something.

Anyway, this combination of both options noticeably reduced the gamut on the desktop already. I don’t know why because it’s not obvious. From there I created a new profile with DisplayCAL, applied it through the Windows profile loader and verified it afterwards.

The report showed a very good sRGB calibration with minimal deviations. And it works already for the desktop. No extra software required. That’s exactly what I wanted. 🙂 It’s just a bit unfortunate that I now depend on an undocumented and unobvious behaviour of the AMD software. I hope they don’t change that.

BTW, the gamma test of the EIZO web tool was wrong because of the scaling factor of 250%. It warned me several times, and for a reason as I know now. At 100% it was correct and indicated exactly the sRGB gamma (with my profile active).

Vincent
    Participant

Why is dwm_lut always the first choice for widegamut displays? It is banned in some game servers, and it has a higher load on the gpu…Why is novideo_srgb always a second choice?

Because DWMLUT is GPU agnostic. novidosRGB is for nvidias, I do not own an nvidia nor want one. Also it has built in ditheirng.
    For example, lets say that I have a LG widegamut with unreliable HW calibration plugged to my i7 laptop with iGPU. The only way to use it without banding or to simulate sRGB is to use DWMLUT.

Another difference is that is provides volume correction while AMD driver sRGB simulation or novideosRGB relies on a well behaved display after grey calibration. If your display can be described in an accurate way by a matrix 1 curve profile then it is likely that you do not need that volume 3d correction.
    A typical scenario for this will be a widegamut without HW cal or unreliable HW cal. If you want to use it at native gamut but it is “bad behaved”, simulate with DWMLUT its own idelaized colospace (matrix, described by primaries in a synth profile) : that will allow you to use as display profile a 1curve +matrx profile (synth  idealized profile) so you get rid of color management rounding errors.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by Vincent.

Vincent
    Participant

Thank you for your replies. I went through the first post and noticed that I could update my AMD software. I chose the PRO edition over the Adrenalin edition because it sounded more suitable for serious work instead of unhealthy things. 😉 It has a number of options and the ones under the tab “Create”, “Display” are a bit strange. I needed to enable “Custom color” but immediately disable “Color temperature” again. That second one generates way off temperatures, they use a different Kelvin scale or something.

Anyway, this combination of both options noticeably reduced the gamut on the desktop already. I don’t know why because it’s not obvious. From there I created a new profile with DisplayCAL, applied it through the Windows profile loader and verified it afterwards.

Naming of those controls is a bit weird. AMD sRGB simulation based on EDID profile is there.

The report showed a very good sRGB calibration with minimal deviations. And it works already for the desktop. No extra software required. That’s exactly what I wanted. 🙂 It’s just a bit unfortunate that I now depend on an undocumented and unobvious behaviour of the AMD software. I hope they don’t change that.

It’s ol. It has been there maybe for more than 15 years, but the naming is weird. It woudl be easier to have a button “simulate sRGB from EDID” and all will know what it means.

BTW, the gamma test of the EIZO web tool was wrong because of the scaling factor of 250%. It warned me several times, and for a reason as I know now. At 100% it was correct and indicated exactly the sRGB gamma (with my profile active).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS