Profile for second monitor not actually applying in Win10?

Home Forums Help and Support Profile for second monitor not actually applying in Win10?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

JoeyJungle
    Participant

Hi, I cannot get any profile for my second monitor to apply through displaycal. I’ve calibrated it multiple times, but turning the application on and off (right clicking the DisplayCAL icon in the toolbar and switching between reset video card gamma table and load calibration from current profiles) doesn’t make any changes on my monitor.

I tried using the monitor on a different computer (macbook), and switching between the vendor supplied profile and the calibrated profile definitely has an effect. I cannot get it to work on my primary computer, though. I don’t have any other applications running that affect or override calibration (flux, madvr, etc.), and the calibration for my primary monitor is working fine. Would love any ideas for how to fix this, thanks!

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

how is the display connected? Are you using mirroring mode (no separate calibration for each monitor possible in that case)?

JoeyJungle
    Participant

Hi, thanks for the reply! It’s a 4k monitor connected via displayport, and I don’t have mirroring turned on, each monitor has its own profile set up under the same configurations. It just looks like for the second monitor, the profile doesn’t seem to apply.

One thing that might be worth noting is my primary monitor is a 1440p  gsync monitor with 165hz refresh rate, and the secondary 4k monitor has a 60hz refresh rate without gsync.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Gsync shouldn’t matter here. When you say the profile doesn’t apply, what do you mean exactly? The calibration, which should work irrespective if an application is color managed or not? Or the use of the actual color profile, which is application dependent?

JoeyJungle
    Participant

I mean that on my windows PC, there’s no visual color change I can see between having the profile turned on (by selecting load calibration from the taskbar icon) and having it turned off (by selecting reset gamma tables). Additionally, comparing the vendor profile and the calibrated profile doesn’t seem to have any visual difference in Windows, but using the same profiles on my mac with the monitor connected via a Thunderbolt 3 -> displayport cable, the calibrated profile looks significantly different from the vendor profile.

The only thing I can think of is that MacOS downloaded a different default vendor profile for the monitor than windows did, or that under windows the profile is being ignored.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Unlike macOS, the Windows desktop and most applications are not color managed. The only global change you may see under Windows is the 1D calibration, and only if the calibrated response is different enough from display device native response.

Etc Etera
    Participant

I just happen to experience something that looks exactly as described by the thread title.

I’m not a graphics or photography professional and I don’t have high demands on colour accuracy, but I want my photos to look similar on each of my computers, which is why I’ve calibrated all of them, even my two cheap, old netbooks. And of course I want my two desktop monitors to look the same, whether I’m pushing windows and numbers and code around or editing photos. So far, I always managed to make them look similar enough, whether on Windows 7 (at least as far as I remember) or on Linux, to which I migrated everything in 2017, before I would have been forced to move to Windows 10.

Now I’ve started working from home with a Windows 10 laptop (thanks to the corona measures at my workplace), and while it does drive both monitors pefectly well, I couldn’t use them without calibration; without, they just look too different even though they’re the same make and model (NEC LCD 2080UX+), but they’re both quite old, and while they probably were both good when they were new, I guess they seem to have deteriorated differently.

And no matter whether I use it without a profile, or whether I perform a new calibration or simply use the profiles I have been using on Linux all along, the first monitor looks ok with neutral grays, the second doesn’t – it shows a strong magenta tint instead of middle grey.

After reading the thread, it seems I would need to accept the conclusion that the second monitor has deteriorated so differently from the first one, and so badly, that it shows what it shows, and calibration under Windows is unable to perform any real colour correction there?

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by Etc Etera.

Vincent
    Participant

Win10 has a different and no color managed deafult app for opening images. Google how to restore old windows image viewer whcih is color managed (with some limitations).
    Color cast in non color managed greys AFTER GPU xalibration (like the one DisplayCAL does) is very likely to be a GPU limitation (8bit LUT or no dither).
    Color cast in color managed greys after setting a new default display profile is ussualy a limited precision issue in color management, truncation errors arise. A way to minimize it is to use single curve + matrix profile.

Just to ensure that there is no GPU issue loading calibration to GPU in each display, try to use DisplayCAL tray, reset and reload them. Changing one for another display profile and doing this reload should result in changes in that display.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS