Problems with JVC D-ILA

Home Forums Help and Support Problems with JVC D-ILA

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

bartsmart
    Participant

Hi.

I have a few problems with 3dlut calibration on my JVC D-ILA X3 with i1 Display Pro and creating HDR to SDR 3dlut properly.

I’ve calibrated the projector using HCFR and also Calman 5. My greyscale and whitepoint are matching d65 but when i want to calibrate in displaycal the results are way off(blue channel is too low). Even with colorimeter profile for X30 which is very similiar to my model.

So finally i decide to not measure the whitepoint(check as measured) and create 3dlut for madvr – bt.709 gamma 2.2. The results was very fine comparing to my Samsung calibrated LCD TV.

My JVC can reproduce DCI-P3 gamut(98.3%) with wide color setting so i have  also tried to calibrate HDR to SDR 3dlut for color correction. Unfortunaltely even if i check whitepoint as measured the created 3dlut produce too much red/pink in image.

Do you have any suggestions why i have different readings withg Displaycal? And why my HDR to SDR 3dlut is bad?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

For a display with maximum light output below (roughly) 300 cd/m2 like a projector, I recommend not using the actual maximum luminance as the display peak luminance setting. Instead, use e.g. 300 or 400 cd/m2 (you can experiment with values that are up to 10 times higher than the actual display peak brightness capability). The picture will no longer follow the absolute brightness values of BT.2084 (effectively, the whole curve will be “scaled down”), but it will result in a more pleasing visual result (as I understand, the same “trick” is also used for HDR projection in cinemas).

bartsmart
    Participant

It turned out that when i set meter correction in HCFR to refresh display instead non refresh display or any other i have same whitepoint readings. So i calibrated again my greyscale and whitepoint with HCFR and create two 3dluts(1000pts) in Displaycal.

One for bt.709 colorspace and second for HDR to SDR conversion.

Results with bt.709 was fine i think. I created quick verification testchart(see attachment) with  bt.709 simulation profile,enabled 3dlut and gamma curve set to bt.1886 2.4.

Attachments:

bartsmart
    Participant

Unfortunately my results with DCI-P3 colorspace is terrible as you can see in attached html.

I am sure that i am doing something wrong.

Howto properly verify DCI-P3 colorspace results?

• This reply was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by bartsmart.
    Attachments:

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Howto properly verify DCI-P3 colorspace results?

You have run a verification against Rec. 2020. Set simulation profile to “DCI-P3/SMPTE-431-2” on the verification tab instead.

bartsmart
    Participant

I attached wrong file.

Anyway i’ve measured PJ again today and it isn’t better,

It looks like 3dlut doesn’t correct oversturated colors properly. Also i can’t understand why RGB color balance isn’t flat like in  bt.709 verification.

Attachments:

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Your projector apparently doesn’t fully cover DCI P3. Also, you seem to have set a very high gamma on the verification tab (or you have used a simulation profile with some unusual properties despite the standard name).

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS