Problems with grayscale LG B6 OLED after 3D LUT

Home Forums Help and Support Problems with grayscale LG B6 OLED after 3D LUT

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi

anyone else with an B6 OLED that gets problems with the grayscale after 3D LUT?

it gets worse than before with lots of bandning on the lower parts and also colorshifts towards red.

i have even tried to set the testchart to run 256 neutral patches to cover the entire 8bit grayscale but still it screws up gradations and adds colortints to some levels.

ASBL is turned off from the service menu so it cant be any auto dimming problems

any suggestions?

Harry Kemp
    Participant

Hey,

I also have been attempting to calibrate the B6 but haven’t seen any issues with the grayscale. I have however seen some strange tints to the overall image – see my recent post if you are interested. Will try a grayscale testchart and see what results I get.

Regarding the ASBL – how did you access the service menu to disable this? Is it only possible using the android remote app and/or a universal remote control?

Cheers.

Anonymous
    Inactive

yes i use a Galaxy S6 edge with an remote app and the LG service remote.

ok try do do a  256 grayscale sweep and see how it looks like

i get redish colors on some levels and lots of bandning.

Anonymous
    Inactive

i think the problem is that i have changed the 20 point settings before the 3d lut profiling.

grayscale before 3d lut was crap ( saw it now didnt think of it before)

lets see if default settings for 20 point settings will introduce colorshifts an banding after 3D LUT.

these LG OLEDs are really crap when it comes to adjusting the picture.

50% of the settings doesnt work LOL

Florian Höch
    Administrator

these LG OLEDs are really crap when it comes to adjusting the picture.

This is also what I gleaned from comments made by other people. Best to touch the LG OLED’s controls as little as possible.

If you still have issues, please attach the profile (in DisplayCAL with profile selected under “Settings”, click “Create compressed archive”).

Anonymous
    Inactive

yes that right

3D LUT is a no go

even with default 20 point settings grayscale looks worse after 3D LUT

i have just run a small testchart for the grayscale.

the problem is that you cant even change the 20 point settings with a normal calibration without introducing errors in the grayscale.

tecnezio
    Participant

I also have problems with displaycal and oled b6.
    Displaycal always damages the grayscale when they realized the lut.
    I tried in every way, leaving the calibration tab as measured (ABSL off):

1 – no points, in default and then lut
    2 – with 2 points and then lut
    3 – with 20 points and then lut

In both cases I have tried to make the lut changing the 3dlut rendering intent from absolute colorimetric with white point scaling to relative colorimetric .

Displaycal always contaminates the gray scale.

Florian, where we go wrong? you can solve this problem?

• This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by tecnezio.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Like always, to figure out what’s wrong, we need to look at the data, i.e. measurements, profile + logs.

Anonymous
    Inactive

after comparing the picture to a 3D LUT calibrated 500M i think i know what the problem is.

OLEDs are far from stable

it changes whiteballance and colors depending on whats on the screen.

so even if test windows looks good its not allways those colors you see with other material such as the grayscale ramp.

other problem is that all picture settings seems to be linked and affect each other

if you change one you change many others.

to sum it up easy is that the whole picture on these B6s seems to be build up from one single  setting and the rest are linked to that setting.

that comfirms that the only setting you can change without bringing any artifacts is RGB High.

everything seems to be drawn from that single setting

Florian Höch
    Administrator

OLEDs are far from stable

it changes whiteballance and colors depending on whats on the screen.

so even if test windows looks good its not allways those colors you see with other material such as the grayscale ramp.

The usual way around this is to make the patch area as small as possible, enabling white level drift compensation, and reducing the number of measured patches. Using madTPG can also help because it supports APL (average picture level). Some experimentation may be needed to determine patch area size and APL background percentage.

Harry Kemp
    Participant

Just to chime in here – Florian, if I was to theoretically pick one display to use as a WB/WP reference, how would I know this is the “correctly” calibrated display to base my calibration from if DisplayCal has profiled and calibrated both displays? Just choose the one that looks the most correct and go from there?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Easy

pick up a 500M without 3D LUT and just calibrate whitebalance with pure mode wihtout changing anything else

then you have an average dE of 1.1

if other tvs looks different for colors/whitebalance then you know they are not correct

this monitor has been used as reference for almost 2 years now.

im glad i have it

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Flanders Scientific have a quite good summary about display matching challenges, underlying issues, visual matching of two displays and limitations:

I would recommend watching the whole video.

Anonymous
    Inactive

thanks interesting.

for a comparision i used this 800 patches (256 grayscale levels) testchart that i have created on my 500M

a complete read of the whole 8bit grayscale with 256 patches was all it took to get perfect near black performance!

no posterisation as it is without 3d lut and amazing details  near black.

i guess that just a measurement of 256 grayscale steps is all that is needed on this tv to get near perfect performance.

no need to use 3k or 9k testcharts

this 500M responds 100% correct from a 3D LUT

Alejandro Oscar
    Participant

Hi guys, I have an LG ef9500 (model 2016). I’m new with DisplayCal. I use tv as a monitor. Until now, use Calman Enthusiast to calibrate, but I do not get a good result.

Do I need to enable any particular option when creating the profile? I use video d65 rec1886 and xyz lut + matrix (and white level drift and black point compensation) everything else, by default. I’m missing something? I still have black crush.

Recommend that I first do a speed calibration of 2p/21p with Calman Enthusiast and then the profile with DisplayCal?

Thks!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS