Problems with Dell Inspiron 15 3576 and Ubuntu 18.04

Home Forums Help and Support Problems with Dell Inspiron 15 3576 and Ubuntu 18.04

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Frank van Wensveen
    Participant

I was excited to learn that DisplayCAL will let me use my old GretagMacBeth Eye-one to calibrate my display on my Ubuntu laptop. The system in question is a Dell Inspiron 15 3576 with an i5 (4 cores; 2 threads per core) and 8GB of RAM which I expected should be sufficient. So I installed DisplayCAL from the Ubuntu repo (which contains version 3.5) and gave it a spin, following these instructions. I tried to calibrate the display for 5000K. Calibration took about twice as long as the estimated time (instead of 30 minutes or so it took well over  an hour)  and then DisplayCAL froze my computer for about another two hours (!) by keeping the harddisk utilization at 100%. Apparently it was looking for something that took 6 workers; I can’t remember the exact message and I couldn’t copy and paste it because the machine was frozen. From the looks of it DisplayCAL searched the entire 1TB harddisk (85% of which is currently full).

To add insult to injury, after all was said and done  the entire screen was a pinkish red and I had to discard the obviously completely incorrect profile.

What am I doing wrong here?

// FvW

Florian Höch
    Administrator

The gelatine filters in your i1 Display have likely degraded to a point where the instrument is no longer usable for accurate color measurement. Your system was likely swapping due to faulty measurement data blowing up the memory requirements for profile creation past reasonable limits.

Frank van Wensveen
    Participant

Thank you, Florian! This is bad news, but it does at least explain what’s been going on.

Is there any way to test the colorimeter?

// FvW

Florian Höch
    Administrator

X-Rite diagnostics is only available for macOS and Windows I’m afraid, and I’m not sure it even supports the i1 Display.

Frank van Wensveen
    Participant

I’ll have a look at it; if it does support the I1 I can always find a Windows box. Tnx! 🙂

// FvW

[Update: yes, it appears the I1 is supported: https://www.xrite.com/service-support/downloads/i/i1diagnostics_v4_1_2]

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS