Problems with calibrating TN Panel

Home Forums Help and Support Problems with calibrating TN Panel

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Irfan
    Participant

Hi, i am having a problem while calibrating a TN Panel, Zowie xl2411p. I am not looking to do any changes to the contrast as i know its very poor on this monitor. I am just looking to get some proper colours to match my other two well calibrated monitors.

The problem i am facing is that in the settings i keep white level and back level to as measured (i am assuming this does not make a 1D curve) but after calibration and installing the profile, there is a huge shift in contrast where the highlights are extremely blown. As in the contrast is much better without doing any calibration and if i am selecting white and black as measured, that shouldnt do any contrast adjustments right?

Kindly help me with this.

Kuba Trybowski
    Participant

What are your two other monitors?

It’s nearly impossible to color-match even two units of the same display model:

Also, there’s no point in calibrating a TN panel with a colorimeter.

Irfan
    Participant

Hi Kuba, thanks for the reply. One display is a benq as shown in the video and the other one is a Flanders scientific. This monitor i bought so i can just use it as an extra monitor for some gaming when I am bored lol. and for some extra scopes. I never knew TN Panels are so bad.

I must point out that I work as a colorist so even though I am not a professional in calibrations, I do have some idea about it. And I understand that even 2 displays that are just serial number different will not match. And I also understand everything he explains in the Video, before I watched that.

But that is not my concern here. What I don’t understand is the TN panel seems to be better without any calibration. And calibrating whilst keeping white and black curve on “as measured” after the ICC the highlights get blown out terribly. Doesn’t as measured means it won’t create a 1d lut and not mess with the gamma curve?  Cuz the contrast on this TN is really bad. So I don’t want to calibrate it. I just want the colours to remap to somewhat decent how much ever this thing can do. Which also might be terrible but why the blown out highlights after calibrating?

Procedure, I select wled for correction. Using i1 display for this. In calibration settings, I select white and black as measured. And interactive. Then change monitor rgb levels to match d65 in interactive. Which I successfully do then start calibration and install the profile.

Please do let me know if this is the correct way. If I set the white and black point to specific settings like gamma 2.2 gamma 2.4 etc then is when the 1d lut gets created right?

Kuba Trybowski
    Participant

Since you have an i1 Display, try to calibrate your display with the latest version of either Calibrite CC Profiler (formerly X-Rite i1 Profiler) or CC Studio (formerly i1 Studio), depending on whether you have the Pro, Pro Plus or Studio version:

https://calibrite.com/us/software-downloads/

It will tell us whether it’s a problem with DisplayCAL or the display.

Calibrite ColorChecker Studio on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Irfan
    Participant

Oh well! Even that software does the same. So its the panel! Hahaha TN are so bad? I don’t understand why calibration is trying to shift its gamma. However. I think I’ll just change the panel lol. Lg 27gl850 seems to be a good alternative

Kuba Trybowski
    Participant

Could youease tell me your calibration parameters (luminosity/brightness, white point, gamma, contrast)?

Vincent
    Participant

@Irfan to avoid any kind of calibration you have to sert TRC to native too, all calibration tab to as measured.
    Setting black & white to as measured you ensure that resulting calibration curves have 000 and 255 start and and point, not curve shape.

But you did not that:

And interactive. Then change monitor rgb levels to match d65 in interactive. Which I successfully do then start calibration and install the profile.

You are changing some values to get some VDT.

after the ICC the highlights get blown out terribly.

That maybe caused by user OSD manipulation. Does your monitor have 0-100 RGB gains with 50 value by default? raising gain over 50 may cause channel clipping on those configurations (it’s easier with 0-100 gains with default 100 value “native white”). IDNK what is happening on you case.
    Check resulting ICC profile -> Displaycal profile info -> check “calibration curves” and “tone responde curve”. Channel saturation issues should be stored there.

@Kuba CCprofiler is not able to outperfom Displaycal in any scenario. You can keep posting it on every thread but this fact will not change.
    Actually CCProfiler & i1Profiler is not able to do a “profile only” like Irfan is asking to.

Irfan
    Participant

@Irfan to avoid any kind of calibration you have to sert TRC to native too, all calibration tab to as measured.
    Setting black & white to as measured you ensure that resulting calibration curves have 000 and 255 start and and point, not curve shape.

Hey Vincent, its nice to see you again 🙂 I did this same, Nothing is set to anything else than as measured.

But you did not that:

And interactive. Then change monitor rgb levels to match d65 in interactive. Which I successfully do then start calibration and install the profile.

You are changing some values to get some VDT.

I am changing the RGB values on monitor just to get the d65 on point in the interative window before the calibration. meaning getting the three RGB Values to green tick and the white to 100 cd2.

after the ICC the highlights get blown out terribly.

That maybe caused by user OSD manipulation. Does your monitor have 0-100 RGB gains with 50 value by default? raising gain over 50 may cause channel clipping on those configurations (it’s easier with 0-100 gains with default 100 value “native white”). IDNK what is happening on you case.
    Check resulting ICC profile -> Displaycal profile info -> check “calibration curves” and “tone responde curve”. Channel saturation issues should be stored there.

The monitor values were set to default of 100/100/100. To get the D65 proper in interactive before calibration, i had to change these to 98/100/100 and got the green tick. then calibrated. The white, back point as well as the tone curve were all set to as measured.

I am attaching the screenshots from calibration curves as well as tone curves as you said. Please check

@Kuba CCprofiler is not able to outperfom Displaycal in any scenario. You can keep posting it on every thread but this fact will not change.
    Actually CCProfiler & i1Profiler is not able to do a “profile only” like Irfan is asking to.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

This shows no calibration at all as you wanted, then it was recorded the uncalibrated TRC for color managed apps. Since window desktop is not color managed that profile cannot change windows desktopobehavior (profile has no calibration)

Where do you see those “highlights blown out”? which app?

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by Vincent.

Irfan
    Participant

See it in windows! In windows photos. In edge and all other non colour managed parts. That’s what is confusing me. It shouldn’t theoretically do anything. But it’s doing somehow. When I switch the profile on off in associations, the non calibrated doesn’t blow up highlights like that.

Irfan
    Participant

If you notice the calibration curves. They seem to be lifted a lot. That’s not how that curve looks on my other calibrated screen. It’s almost in the middle with a down slope towards the left bottom. But this seems to be lifted. Is it possible that the TN panel is so bad that even when it’s just trying to correct the colour, it’s just going crazy outside?

Vincent
    Participant

Edge is color managed.
    Calibration curves are straight 45degree, no calibration at all. “curved one” is TRC, not calibration, actual gamma recorded by measuring display.

Disable all dynamic contrast features in OSD and set “response time” setting (AMA or whetever name it has) to slowest. I would try to calibrate greyscale instead of as measured.

If native WP is too off correcting it in OSD will lower contrast by a significative amout but 98/100/100 does not seem “Too off”.

Irfan
    Participant

Yes TRC my bad. The ama is on slowest itself. Do i put the osd RGB 50/50/50 and then adjust from there for d65?

What setting would be suitable to set greyscale?

Vincent
    Participant

Do i put the osd RGB 50/50/50 and then adjust from there for d65?

No, you said that default value is 100, then what i said does not apply.

What setting would be suitable to set greyscale?

Same you had, then set Tone curve to gamma to 2.2 or something like that in calibration tab.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by Vincent.

Irfan
    Participant

I’ll do more variations and see what happens. Will come back then Vincent.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS