Problems creating 3D LUT

Home Forums Help and Support Problems creating 3D LUT

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

CraftyClown
    Participant

Hi Florian,

Firstly thank you for creating a fantastic GUI with DisplayCAL. I’ve been using it for a number of years with great success.

I’m currently having a problem creating a .cube 3D LUT for my Blackmagic HDLink Pro box. Every time I try to load a LUT the HDLink utility will crash and need to close. I had successfully loaded a LUT onto the box about 5 years ago and it is only now that I am trying to set the box up with a different screen (a commercial LCD that I can use as a client monitor of sorts) that I am having problems. I can successfully export and then reload the old LUT from inside the HDLink box without getting a crash (not sure whether that is relevant?)

Can you think of a reason why this might be happening?

Cheers

CraftyClown
    Participant

I think I may have found the solution through scouring the forums.

I didn’t set the 3D LUT to be 17 x 17 x 17, which I understand HDLink requires.

I’ve left the office now so I can’t check until the morning, but hopefully that is the cause for HDLink Utility crashing.

Whilst I have your attention I do have another question though:

As the monitor (crappy LCD TV) is connected directly to the HDLink box, I am using the Resolve method (IP address and port) to calibrate it. I am also selecting the Resolve profile from the Displaycal settings.

Is this the method you would recommend?

Cheers

Florian Höch
    Administrator

As the monitor (crappy LCD TV) is connected directly to the HDLink box, I am using the Resolve method (IP address and port) to calibrate it. I am also selecting the Resolve profile from the Displaycal settings.

Is this the method you would recommend?

That’s a reasonable approach I think.

S Simeonov
    Participant

Florian,

do we have to choose “disable gpu gamma ramps” option in madvr when using 3dlut of all kinds (etc. with linear calibration included) or displaycal is doing that?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

do we have to choose “disable gpu gamma ramps” option in madvr when using 3dlut of all kinds

No, as long as the 3D LUT has calibration applied and linear calibration appended (which is the default if it was created by DisplayCAL).

S Simeonov
    Participant

With madvr’s option “enable windowed overlay” WtW is clipped when using a 3DLUT? Is this clipping really noticeable, and is it a bad sort of effect when uisng 3Dlut?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

With madvr’s option “enable windowed overlay” WtW is clipped when using a 3DLUT? Is this clipping really noticeable, and is it a bad sort of effect when uisng 3Dlut?

It’s actually kind of a desirable effect, because real content is not supposed to contain WtW.

S Simeonov
    Participant

It’s actually kind of a desirable effect, because real content is not supposed to contain WtW.

Thank you, I guess I’ll use windowed overlay 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS