Proart PA329C Calibration/Verification

Home Forums General Discussion Proart PA329C Calibration/Verification

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Mike Harrington
    Participant

Took a chance and bought a PA329C as it was on sale cheap. I know they don’t have the best reputation….

Was looking for an opinion on the verification reports I performed, as I am not sure I have done them 100% right.

Right now this is based of the built in REC 709 monitor preset, calibrated and profiled in displaycal. I am not very knowledgeable with the verification reports, but if I have done them right, they dont appear too bad for Rec 709.

I will do a ‘User Settings’ calibration and profile later once I get my head wrapped around the process.

Any opinions what I should do to improve this?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

Took a chance and bought a PA329C as it was on sale cheap. I know they don’t have the best reputation….

The issues are not calibration, but uniformity. That reprot is missing.

Was looking for an opinion on the verification reports I performed, as I am not sure I have done them 100% right.

You had testetd it at 100% brightness, usually you set it to your target nits first. If you  lower brightness whitepoint may drift and you’ll have to redo calibration by changing RGB gains (if available in that OSD mode)

Also unless you had made that CCMX, you shoudl not use it, they are not portable.

Right now this is based of the built in REC 709 monitor preset, calibrated and profiled in displaycal. I am not very knowledgeable with the verification reports, but if I have done them right, they dont appear too bad for Rec 709.

Usually using Rec1886 on a low cotrast display is an error. Aim for 2.2 or 2.4.

I will do a ‘User Settings’ calibration and profile later once I get my head wrapped around the process.

User is native gamut (unless there is a gamut clip option), so you make a detailed XYZ LUT profile first, then a LUT3D suitable for your video editing app like Resolve. (soure Rec709 g 2.2 or 2.4, destination your custom profile, embed or do not embed VCGT depending on where are going tp use it)

Any opinions what I should do to improve this?

Do not use CCMX unless you made it (use CCSS instead), do not use Rec1886, aim for your desired luminance, test uniformity which statistically is where those low cost monitors fail, not calibrating grey and modeling display bahevior witha 3d mesh profile.

Mike Harrington
    Participant

Thanks Vincent…..I learned the little I know going through your posts, so much appreciated.

2 questions-

I had the brightness set to 50 on the OSD controls which I assumed would lead to the max contrast being more or less native. I can set a white level to accommodate the ambient room lighting  and reduce eyestrain (about 135lm) but this results in me lowering the OSD brightness all the way down to 12. Is the white point for rec 709 an absolute value or relative?

I had not realized the portability of a CCSS vs the CCMX, is the CCMX a specific correction to a specific colorimeter and specific display, and the CCSS more of a general correction?

Have to leave for a week to work, but I will post verification updates based of your instructions and a screen uniformity when I get back.

Appreciate the help, this is very much a dark art and somewhat difficult to understand and learn without having a holistic understanding of every factor. It appears the commercial calibration software is no more capable than Displaycal, but much more idiot proof.

Vincent
    Participant

Thanks Vincent…..I learned the little I know going through your posts, so much appreciated.

2 questions-

I had the brightness set to 50 on the OSD controls which I assumed would lead to the max contrast being more or less native.

It should be more oe less constant across brightness range, unless display is bad behaved.

I can set a white level to accommodate the ambient room lighting  and reduce eyestrain (about 135lm) but this results in me lowering the OSD brightness all the way down to 12. Is the white point for rec 709 an absolute value or relative?

SDR content is relative, although under controled ambient light you can recall some common values like ISO settings for softproof or the typical 100nit goal for SDR video.

I had not realized the portability of a CCSS vs the CCMX, is the CCMX a specific correction to a specific colorimeter and specific display, and the CCSS more of a general correction?

CCSS is a general characterization of an spectral powerr distribution emited by a display which when joined with specific colorimeter firmware data (spectral sensivity curves fo colorimeter) gets you a custom (per device) 3×3 matrix, akin to a CCMX (although RGB to XYZ instead of XYZ to XYZ).
    Excluding colorimeter dependent data (sensivity curves) makes CCSS “portable” for similar display tech types.

Have to leave for a week to work, but I will post verification updates based of your instructions and a screen uniformity when I get back.

Appreciate the help, this is very much a dark art and somewhat difficult to understand and learn without having a holistic understanding of every factor. It appears the commercial calibration software is no more capable than Displaycal, but much more idiot proof.

Commerical software MAY be able to write internal LUTs of display, hence making calibration non software and no computer dependent but such comercial software usually cost as much as a low cost 27-32 widegamut display like that asus, so I’ll say that it is a no go for those consumers.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by Vincent.

Mike Harrington
    Participant

Updated measurements incorporating Vincent’s instructions.

White level is based off ambient.

There does appear to be uniformity issues as far as I can tell.

Color reproduction seems reasonable (based off my limited understanding of the measurement report)

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS