Posterization issue

Home Forums Help and Support Posterization issue

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author

MW
    Participant

I’m getting extreme posterization on some hues with the 3DLUT generated by DisplayCal in MadVR. GPU 2D correction looks fine in comparison. The display is a 10 year old Philips LCD TV. I made sure I bypassed any internal scaling and post-processing. What can I do to improve my result?

Profile directory: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tOoLvje5zBAJSv-xUFyiPwBhw7LgjZl3/view?usp=sharing

• This topic was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by MW.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

There are two botched measurements in the measurement data, probably due to the Spyder acting up. Select “Check measurement data…” from the “Advanced” sub-menu in the “Tools” menu, and find the patches with high ΔE*00 RGB-XYZ (in red). Discard those (place red x), but keep all the others (place checkmark), and re-generate the profile and 3D LUT.

Also, your TV’s black level seems very high at 0.4 cd/m2, but this may be due to the Spyder3 not being able to read the black level accurately.

In the long run, I’d recommend upgrading to a more capable instrument.

MW
    Participant

That worked perfectly. Thanks!

MW
    Participant

I ended up going all checked red, after comparing to the two-checked, and the auto-checked. I think your’e right that a meter upgrade is due. I suspect the Philips TV is doing something too. There is always pronounced ghosting on colors similar to the two false measured patches.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

If ghosting is an issue, you may be able to overcome that by setting an increased display update delay and/or settle time multiplier.

MW
    Participant

Thanks, I’ve been able to improve my results with tweaked settings. There remains some yellow shifts in skin tones:

Anything I can do beside getting a new meter or TV?

• This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by MW.
    Attachments:

MW
    Participant

Problem solved after running 2500 patches. Now tracing back my steps to see what settings made the biggest difference, because when I did 1500 patches previously the problem was still there.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

HDMI-TV-2-2018-02-20-22-54-0.3127x-0.329y-S-XYZLUTMTX.7z

That profile shows some severe black clipping. You’re likely driving the TV with the wrong output levels (they probably need to be set to “limited 16..235”), or the Spyder3 simply cannot read even close to the actual black level of the TV.

MW
    Participant

I (strongly) suspect my Spyder 3 has issues near black. I had to bypass auto detection and manually select full range levels which is correct for this TV. I will have to get a I1D3 to gain confidence in measurements. For casual use I’m finding results acceptable with <2000 patches,  “Spyder3 & DELL U2311H (i1 Pro 2) [LM230WF2]” correction from the database, and vary RGB patch sequence,.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

MW
    Participant

The black clipping/artifact issue is kind of random.  For example I got it when using 2000 patches, but not 1500 or 2500 patches. If you’re interested I uploaded some profiles.

Attachments:

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I had to bypass auto detection and manually select full range levels which is correct for this TV.

[…]

HDMI-TV-2-2018-02-21-05-25-0.3127x-0.329y-S-XYZLUTMTX.7z

Doesn’t look like it. Levels 0-16 are clipped, strongly indicating full range output to a limited range TV…

MW
    Participant

Doesn’t look like it. Levels 0-16 are clipped, strongly indicating full range output to a limited range TV…

Doesn’t this suggest otherwise?

Attachments:

MW
    Participant

Better report focusing on WTW and BTB.

Attachments:

Florian Höch
    Administrator

In the reports levels 0-16 are clipped as well (same L*).

MW
    Participant

After raising my TVs “brightness” control (gamma control in effect) from 50 to 57 I get differentiation from about RGB 6 and up. This adjustment also gave me better deltaE values in measurement report after profiling. I don’t even see a setting for PC or TV levels in my graphics card panel. Do you not think the TV expects full range levels?

Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS