Posterization in shadows

Home Forums Help and Support Posterization in shadows

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

George Dibble
    Participant

Following my most recent calibration of my monitor (Asus PA248Q), images show significant color banding and posterization, particularly in mid-tones and shadows.  This was not a problem after previous calibration, or when the calibration profile is not loaded.  What are likely causes and solutions for this problem?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Disable any and all “automatic” or “dynamic” picture enhancements in the monitor OSD and the graphics driver and make sure no direct light is falling on the monitor and the probe during measurements, then calibrate & profile again.

George Dibble
    Participant

Disable any and all “automatic” or “dynamic” picture enhancements in the monitor OSD and the graphics driver and make sure no direct light is falling on the monitor and the probe during measurements, then calibrate & profile again.

Unfortunately, this did not have the desired effect.  What is confusing me is that it is only happening in Lightroom.  When I view a jpg in another image viewer, the effect is not there.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Not all applications are color managed. Lightroom is, but it seems to have various bugs that are not in other color managed software. Photoshop is usually a good benchmark, as its color management is a “known good” implementation.

George Dibble
    Participant

I checked in Photoshop.  The problem doesn’t seem to be there.  Do you think that reinstalling Lightroom would be useful?

On a possibly related note, I’ve noticed that occasionally, my monitors will seem to flicker between color profiles, or rather between using the profile and not using the profile.  This is generally short lived, and happens most when I turn on or off my external monitor, or when I first start my laptop.  Would this indicate a problem with my instance of DisplayCAL?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Do you think that reinstalling Lightroom would be useful?

I suspect it won’t help, but it’s not much effort, so might be worth a try.

On a possibly related note, I’ve noticed that occasionally, my monitors will seem to flicker between color profiles, or rather between using the profile and not using the profile. This is generally short lived, and happens most when I turn on or off my external monitor, or when I first start my laptop. Would this indicate a problem with my instance of DisplayCAL?

Unrelated. This is the calibration being loaded by the calibration loader, and happens after login or when switching another monitor on or off in a multi display setup.

George Dibble
    Participant

On a possibly related note, I’ve noticed that occasionally, my monitors will seem to flicker between color profiles, or rather between using the profile and not using the profile. This is generally short lived, and happens most when I turn on or off my external monitor, or when I first start my laptop. Would this indicate a problem with my instance of DisplayCAL?

Unrelated. This is the calibration being loaded by the calibration loader, and happens after login or when switching another monitor on or off in a multi display setup.

What would cause it to happen in conditions other than login or switching the monitor off or on?  Sometimes it will happen for no apparent reason, or at least without one of those actions being taken.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

When another program clears the calibration. Normally this shouldn’t happen, but some suspect utilities like Intel graphics driver tools or the like tend to mess with calibration. Also, make sure you’re not using any other 3rd party calibration loaders.

George Dibble
    Participant

When another program clears the calibration. Normally this shouldn’t happen, but some suspect utilities like Intel graphics driver tools or the like tend to mess with calibration. Also, make sure you’re not using any other 3rd party calibration loaders.

Do you have any troubleshooting tips on how to determine what is causing this specifically?  I don’t have any 3rd party calibration loaders (other than DisplayCAL).  Just today, my profile was reloaded over 500 times (over the course of about five hours).  I tried checking the Intel Graphics control panel, but couldn’t find any settings that would be affecting this.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Do you have any troubleshooting tips on how to determine what is causing this specifically?

Check task manager for processes that are not part of Windows and try to determine their purpose and if you really need them. If it’s nothing critical (e.g. not some driver of sort), try to uninstall or end task and see if the problem re-occurs.

Just today, my profile was reloaded over 500 times (over the course of about five hours)

That’s fine. Reloading is no point of concern (would happen anyway), other utilities clearing the calibration is (causes flicker when its cleared).

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS