poor sRGB gamut coverage

Home Forums Help and Support poor sRGB gamut coverage

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

invisible123 SourceForge

Hi. I’ve been having trouble getting an acceptable calibration of my Lenovo Edge laptop screen. I’m using a ColorMunki Display and when I use dispcalGUI I get about a 50-60% sRGB coverage. When I use x-rites software and load that calibration into dispcalGUI it still gives a pretty poor sRGB coverage. I’ve tried multiple calibration settings and was wondering if anyone else had ever experienced this problem. I haven’t seen any post like this online and I’ve been searching for the problem for a few days. The problem is most noticable in lightroom when viewing bright reds. They become clipped and blown out when the profile is loaded. If I load a standard sRGB profile the problem is gone (the screen is just not calibrated correctly then).

With laptops it sounds like you are just able to adjust the brightness when initially calibrating. I found under the control panel the ‘Intel HD Graphics Control Panel’ where the brightness, contrast, and gamma of each color can be adjusted. I tried calibrating with these values set to defualt and also adjusting these but neither seemed to change the resulting sRGB gamut coverage.

The system is 64 bit windows 8.
    8 GB of memory and an intel i7
    It has Intel HD Graphics card and a NVIDIA GeForce 840M

Thanks for any help anyone can offer. Let me know if you need anymore info on my settings.

• This topic was modified on 2015-12-24 12:38:28 by invisible123.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

I’ve been having trouble getting an acceptable calibration of my Lenovo Edge laptop screen. I’m using a ColorMunki Display and when I use dispcalGUI I get about a 50-60% sRGB coverage.

That’s quite normal for a Laptop screen, and is a (hardware) limitation of the panel. There’s nothing you can do about it.

I found under the control panel the ‘Intel HD Graphics Control Panel’ where the brightness, contrast, and gamma of each color can be adjusted. I tried calibrating with these values set to defualt and also adjusting these but neither seemed to change the resulting sRGB gamut coverage.

You can’t use software controls during calibration.

invisible123 SourceForge

Florian,

Thanks for your response and all your work on dispcalGUI.

It just seems like something is off with the calibration curve of this new laptop and that my old laptop got a coverage of 86% sRGB. The resulting profile of the new one is so far from what the display can show that bright reds are being clipped in lightroom and is pretty unusable. I don’t know if the problem has to do some other program on windows.

It looked like a similar problem was seen in this old link the but link inside it with the answere seems to be gone now.

https://sourceforge.net/p/dispcalgui/discussion/932494/thread/498e386c/

Thanks again for your help and happy holidays.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

It looked like a similar problem was seen in this old link the but link inside it with the answere seems to be gone now.
    https://sourceforge.net/p/dispcalgui/discussion/932494/thread/498e386c/

No, that was specific to Mac OS X.

I see no indication that anything is wrong in your case (other than the panel just not being great, like many other Laptop panels).

invisible123 SourceForge

Thanks again for looking at it.

If I try to replace this laptop screen with a better one which specs should I look at that might indicate the color gamut coverage? So far I’m not seeing any specs on the laptop panels when I google replacements.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS