Please Help me calibrate LG Ultrafine 5k

Home Forums Help and Support Please Help me calibrate LG Ultrafine 5k

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Aladdin
    Participant

Hi, I’m trying to calibrate my LG Ultrafine 5k monitor using a Spyder 5 and displaycal, can you please please help me optimize the advanced settings? It is a wide gamut display and I can not figure out anywhere whether to set the mode as Wide gamut LCD (CCFL) or Wide Gamut LCD (RGB LED).
    Correction set to auto, no black or white level compensation correct?

On Calibration menu, I left whitepoint to “as measured” instead of 6500k because my room lighting slightly changes, tonal curve gamma 2.2, calibration speed medium, is that whitepoint ok or should I put 6500k?

Profile settings, I am not sure what the best profile type?? Can you please help me on this, should I use single curve+matrix? Black point compensation? I am using this as a daily monitor on Mac OSX, with basically all apps, including Quicktime. No photo or video editing or printing. So my priority is good/vibrant colors for entertainment purposes/viewing, not for photo editing and printing etc

I would really really appreciate your help and sorry for all the questions, but I’m renting this Spyder 5 for only a few days and need to get my monitor perfectly calibrated before I have to return it.

Thanks so much

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

whether to set the mode as Wide gamut LCD (CCFL) or Wide Gamut LCD (RGB LED)

Neither of the two. It almost certainly uses some variation of white LED backlight, although I couldn’t find information on the specific type of backlight.

Correction set to auto, no black or white level compensation correct?

Yes.

On Calibration menu, I left whitepoint to “as measured”

That’s fine.

Profile settings, I am not sure what the best profile type?

Leave the defaults.

Aladdin
    Participant

Thank so much!

So for mode, choose “LCD (White LED)” even though it’s a wide gamut display?

And profile settings, so use “XYZ LUT + matrix”? should I check the black point compensation box? Test chart “auto-optimized”, and how many patches, like over a thousand?

Thanks sooo much

• This reply was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by Aladdin.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

So for mode, choose “LCD (White LED)” even though it’s a wide gamut display?

That’s probably the closest that the Spyder5 offers, or use “LCD (generic)”.

And profile settings, so use “XYZ LUT + matrix”?

Yes.

should I check the black point compensation box?

No.

how many patches

The default is 175.

Aladdin
    Participant

Can you please take a look at these 2 different profiles and tell me which one is “better” for just using the monitor for entertainment/video watching (not for editing etc). Which one of the 2 appears to have more vibrant/full colors?

They’re very different profiles:

one is “wide gamut ccfl” single curve + matrix

other is “LCD white LED” XYZ LUT + matrix

Looking at the 2 in real life, there’s a very very very subtle difference, but I can’t tell which is “better”

Thanks!!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Can you please take a look at these 2 different profiles and tell me which one is “better”

That’s the wrong question to ask to begin with. Both profiles describe the display in the state it was when the profile was created. You could ask which of the two is more accurate, and you already have the tool that may give you an answer to that question.

Aladdin
    Participant

Sorry I understand it is not the most proper question. But I was basically asking if there is anything in those 2 profiles that would make you decide that one may be more accurate than the other. Or like is there anything that outright looks off, etc.

I would appreciate a quick glance at the 2 profiles for me, Thank you

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I was basically asking if there is anything in those 2 profiles that would make you decide that one may be more accurate than the other.

LUT profiles are more accurate.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS