Pink cast after calibration

Home Forums Help and Support Pink cast after calibration

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Alexia SH
    Participant

I have been looking through the forum trying to find solutions, but at this point, I have tried a lot of things that I’m not even sure what I have and haven’t tried.

So, I purchased a OEM i1 display pro on Ebay and used the DisplayCal in many settings. I’m trying to calibrate my laptop, at least to be decent. I knew that the whites before the process were blueish, but after I finish the whole calibration and profiling, I notice that everything will have a pink cast, it isn’t just on Chrome. It’s on everything. And when I do the verification thingy, the profile will go back to the original while measuring (is that normal?).

So, I’m not sure if I’m doing something wrong or if my Windows is messing up the process at some point.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

1- use proper spectral correction for your display. For example LED sRGB laptops can use bundled WLED correction in DIsplayCAL for i1displaypro. Widegamut laptops (P3/AdobeRGB) may need others, IDNK what you own, you provide almost no data.

2-if even using such spectral correction you get a slight color cast in white, use visual whitepoint editor for whitepoint.

Alexia SH
    Participant
    1. I’m trying to calibrate a laptop monitor. All I know it’s LCD (and it isn’t old, it was purchased last year). I have tried to find more information and wasn’t able, but I tried a couple of different correction options in the Display tab (none, auto, LED White LED, LED WLED, etc). Nothing seems to help. I also tried checking if it’s some setting in the Calibration tab, but so far, nothing.
    2. It isn’t a slight cast. It’s a massive cast to the point that it’ll distort absolutely everything, no matter what I’m using (it affects everything, from browser to Windows). It’s like I put on strong pink glasses to see the world. Would the visual whitepoint editor help when it’s massive color cast?

Vincent
    Participant

1-Which model?
    2-Yes… unless there is some app running on your laptop that is applying an additional whitepoint correction/calibration, or you are loading another profile, not the one made by DisplayCAL : “And when I do the verification thingy, the profile will go back to the original while measuring (is that normal?).”
    Verify display profile first (run profile verification),  put a big 255 white image in Paint on the right or left of measurement window, or maximized behind, so you know if that image it is visually white or pink when DisplayCAL is showing patches. If verification report says white is more or less on spot and image with 255 white loooked white while verifiying (while showing color patches) then you should have something misconfigured in your system.

PS: Verify without “simulation profile” enabled, just display profile verification.
    Also there is little to none information about what you actually did, which whiteppoint calibration is applied (VCGT/calibration curves graph)… if you find difficult to write what you did, screenshots may help

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by Vincent.

Alexia SH
    Participant
    1. The brand only exist in Brazil. It’s a Positivo XC7660. Have used software, spend hours on google trying to find more info on the monitor, and didn’t find any info. It’s also showing up as Generic PnP, which isn’t helpful. Have tried installing drivers and etc, no success.
    2. You mean doing the verification with the original display or with the one generated by DisplayCal?

I have tried so many different stuff those last few days…. Used whitepoint set as D55, D65, As Measured. White level, have tried setting 90, 100, 120. Tone curve, tested Rec 709, Rec 1886, Gamma 2.2, sRGB. Calibration speed, have tested High, Medium, Low. Even tried using different lights in my room (natural light, my lamp desk, my room light). All of them would always result in a strong pink cast. The DisplayCal profile loader tells me it’s loading the profile made by the DisplayCal.

Vincent
    Participant

It is possible that it is my fault because I did not understoo what you wrote in your 1st message. What is the meaing of the sentence you wrote?
    “And when I do the verification thingy, the profile will go back to the original while measuring (is that normal?).”

If that means “when I run a verification (without using simulation profile) and color patches shown on my screen, my screen color changes back to normal from pink (I mean surrounding colors, not  patch window)” then  check if white is OK visually, like with a small MS Paint window maximized behind patch window. If verification report shows white +- OK and white was  +- OK visually during verification … that pink cast in white is caused by another thing, not DisplayCAL because while it is validating patches white is OK. Find out which programs are running.

If your sentence does not mean what I wrote (so I misundestood you) and while showing verification patches a white 255 background is pink, then use Visual whitepoint editor… or just select “Native” white

P.S: From google + price  (less than $500/500€) looks like a LED TN so try with WLEDFamily_07Feb11 correction and “Native” white. These screens usually have low contrast (400:1 or worse) so you may not want to loose more because you correct white point.
    Runing a verification report on default profile or in the profile you made with DIsplayCAL may confirm this. Also it is very common that these screens do not cover more than 60-70% os RGB, DisplayCAL profile info will show this visually.

P.S: Another option is that your 2nd hand i1displaypro is broken or malfunctioning

Alexia SH
    Participant

Yeah, I’m just trying to calibrate a little bit, I know it won’t be perfect, but I’m just trying to make the colors look a little bit more normal, since I noticed the blues are really blue. So I’m trying to get some more neutral look, let’s say.

Alright, about the Verification, there is 2 profiles on my Windows (I have been deleting the extras profiles from DisplayCal since all of them are having the same problem). The original one, which is sRGB that came with Windows, and the one generated by the DisplayCal (with the pink problem). When I do the verification, it’ll switch back to original, and I notice it because everything goes back to “normal” (the white is white, no pink cast on everything, the blues are more blue). The white square on Paint during verification is normal. But once verification is done, the pink profile will come back. But then, I’m not sure if I’m doing it right….

I have always done the calibration & profile with no program running. The only program running would be the antivirus (the native one from Windows). But I also tried doing it with it disabled, and same problem.

I’ll try later with the WLEDFamily_07Feb11. I’m not sure about the “Native” white. Is that a setting option or….?

Alexia SH
    Participant

Don’t know how to edit, but something I noticed since I started this whole thing with calibrating: videos on Youtube and Netflix will flicker between color calibrations (it’ll be a flat look for few seconds and then it’ll switch to non flat, and then it’ll go back to flat look, and back again to non flat). This is reaching a maddening point that I’m almost not watching anymore stuff on Youtube/Netflix on my laptop.

Alexia SH
    Participant

Update: I tried the WLEDFamily_07Feb11 with As Measured for Whitepoint. The pink cast still happen, but it isn’t as intense it was before. However, I realized I was doing the verification wrong and I was able to do the verification with the profile generated by DisplayCal and there is indeed some greens, blues and red that shows up as not ideal, which I believe is the source of the pink cast. Or would I be wrong?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Please attach the verification and the profile.

Alexia SH
    Participant

I did another calibration & profile which looks a bit better, but still with the pink cast. I attached the profile and verification. Honestly, I’m just giving up.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

You are using several non-default options. I would recommend going back to defaults.

1. Set calibration white level to “As measured”.
    2. Set calibration tone curve to gamma 2.2.
    3. Disable calibration ambient light level adjustment.

Some comments:

• Your display whitepoint is extremely blue. A calibration that will correct the whitepoint will naturally move it in the red/yellow direction.
    • The display contrast is very low. This display seems to have a poor backlight and/or panel. There is not much you can do about it unfortunately.

Alexia SH
    Participant

Even in the default option, there’ll be a strong pink cast. I don’t mind it being somewhat pink, but not to the point of it distorting everything. TV shows look like everyone is sunburned, even people with dark skin.

And as I said, I gave up.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Even in the default option, there’ll be a strong pink cast.

That’s not possible. The default option is whitepoint as measured, so the grayscale will have exactly the same hue as the whitepoint (which in your case is very blue, not pink).

TV shows look like everyone is sunburned, even people with dark skin.

Is this a TV? TV shows are not color managed at all. Only color managed applications you use on your computer will be color managed.

Alexia SH
    Participant

Even with the whitepoint as measured, it’ll have a strong pink cast. As I said, no matter what I set the options, it’ll always have a pink cast. I understand it having some pink to compensate for the very blue of the native whitepoint, but not to the point it’ll look terrible and distort all the other colors, even the blue doesn’t look like blue at all. This is why I gave up.

And no, it isn’t a TV. I’m talking about tv shows, like Game of Thrones, Good Girls, Grey’s Anatomy, etc. I know TV aren’t color managed. I was trying to calibrate the laptop monitor.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by Alexia SH.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by Alexia SH.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS