Photoshop, Resolve GUI, 1886. ICC and 3D LUT mismatch

Home Forums Help and Support Photoshop, Resolve GUI, 1886. ICC and 3D LUT mismatch

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Anton Meleshkevich
    Participant

Hi! Thank you for the awesome app!

I work as a colorist and I work mostly in Resolve. I prefer 1886 gamma. I use Windows 10 OS

I’m trying to match Resolve GUI to what I see in Photoshop and in online video players like Youtube or Vimeo. I want to be sure that at least contrast in online movie trailers is 1886 curve. So I could learn how to get correct contrast in my work. Contrast curve is the most critical and important thing in video color grading.

I know I should use declink to get correct colors when I work in Resolve, but at this moment I can’t use it for a couple of months.

I have read every thread I found using keywords like Resolve, 1886, Photoshop. I also read everything on the main page of DisplayCal. Of course I unchecked vcgt box. I used standard preset for Resolve, I did everything like in Resolve GUI calibration wiki page. I tried to use standalone app to create 3D LUT. I tried I think every combination of various”gamma”, “rendering intent” and “black point offset” settings. Every time contrast is different. Especially in shadows. Resolve is always more contrasty, more saturated. Using relative colorimetric I got the most similar hue (matrix I think). But no luck with contrast.

Could you please answer my questions?

1. If this is ok that Photoshop and Resolve GUI have different look after calibration (and profiling of course), which app I should trust? Which of them shows me 1886 gamma? Is 3D LUT and resolve GUI the one I should trust?

2. Every time I change Profile Type settings, I get different contrast curve in color managed apps like PS. For example Single Gamma + Matrix is the darkest one. I thought video card curves are used to get the right contrast curve. Seems like when choosing Curves + Matrix I get video card curves (which is all the time the same) AND another DIFFERENT RGB curves in profile which work simultaneously with video card curves. I saw another set of curves in Curve viewer and also I saw that 3D LUT also has sort of RGB curves baked in. Of course vcgt box is unchecked. Why not just to use video card curves to get for example 1886 contrast and move from here for matrix or 3d lut mesh? Seems like I can’t get even 1886 contrast curve (which I can trust) in not color managed apps. What am I missing? Also what about LUT+Matrix profiles? How is additional influence on contrast is implemented there? Did it also have additional curves? I’m don’t talking about vcgt.

3. Youtube videos in Chrome are now also color managed (terrible color management though). What browser and what color profile and 3d lut settings should I use to get at least similar contrast in Youtube videos, Photoshop and Resolve GUI?  Is it will be the correct 1886 curve?

4. As far as I know Photoshop uses relative colorimetric rendering intent. Firefox default is perceptional. Recommended setting for Resolve GUI LUT is absolute colorimetric with white point scaling. This is a little bit confusing if I try to get similar look in each of them. Should I also change firefox and 3D LUT rendering intent to relative colorimetric?

This two questions aren’t important at all, just curious:

5. How to get 3D LUT which will work like just the matrix? I mean which will have just the profiling matrix (and other essential things) baked in? but not the actual 3D LUT from profile.

6. How calibration and profiling works if video card curves are placed obviously AFTER the LUT or matrix LUT.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

I’m trying to match Resolve GUI to what I see in Photoshop and in online video players like Youtube or Vimeo.

Photoshop won’t be a problem as it is fully color managed, video in web browsers on the other hand is typically not.

1. For Photoshop, you need to create a synthetic Rec. 709 profile with the same tone curve settings as on the 3D LUT tab (gamma, black output offset) and set the values for black and white luminance to those of your display profile (to get black luminance in cd/m2, multiply the black point Y value of your display profile that you see in profile information with the white luminance cd/m2 and divide by 100). Assign that profile to images in Rec. 709 colorspace in Photoshop.

2. Every time I change Profile Type settings

The most accurate profile type is XYZ LUT, so that’s what you should be using.

3. Youtube videos in Chrome are now also color managed (terrible color management though).

Color management in Chrome is of no use until it is fixed.

4. As far as I know Photoshop uses relative colorimetric rendering intent.

Yes. If you want to match white points across applications, you should calibrate your display whitepoint to the desired target value.

How to get 3D LUT which will work like just the matrix? I mean which will have just the profiling matrix

What do you mean by “profiling matrix”?

Anton Meleshkevich
    Participant

Thank you for your reply!
    I meant, 3D LUT which acts like a simple matrix + curve(s).
    But this isn’t so matter anymore, because I’ll get declink in a couple of weeks. So I will have some kind of visual reference for GUI monitor calibration when I calibrate my external display connected to declink. When I get it and try to calibrate through it, I’m sure, I will have a couple of questions. But at this moment I don’t want to bother you 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS