Phone Screen Measurement

Home Forums Help and Support Phone Screen Measurement

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Ali Emre Alici
    Participant

Hello folks. I have on i1 display pro. Can I measure phone screen color accuracy with dispcalgui and clorimeter. I want to use the method we use in panels to make comparisons in phone reviews. If I can do this, what settings I have to choose through the program. I am waiting for your suggestions. Thanks.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

You’ll need to find out spetral correction for each phone, otherwise i1displaypro measurements won’t be accurate.
    It’s a good practice that all your reviews include that information (which CCSS you use as correction) and if you are guessing, write it.
    DO NOT use the CCSS that gives lower errors, that is not honest. If you do not know make an educated guess based on native gamut or manufactured advertised backlight technology and explain it.
    As a starting recipe:
    -There are community corrections for AMOLED but they are close to RGB OLED corrections bundled with DisplayCAL or i1Profiler.
    -Phones with sRGB-like maximum (native) gamut are likely to be White LED (White LED IPS correction, bundled with displaycal)

To make a good review you’ll need an spectrophotometer and make CCSS correction for each phone, then measure with CCSS corrected i1displaypro, also use 3nm (high res) mode if you use an Xrite spectrophotometer. Otherwise measurements may be not accurate on some new LED backlights.
    But they are expensive >400 euro for the simpler ones… you if you cannot afford it, make an educated guess of which CCSS and explain why you chose that.

-Once that you have setup this just validate display (remotely) against a simulation profile of your choice, like sRGB or P3-D65, and check “use simulation profile as display profile”.

-If yu wish to check how good display is agianst its “ideal” native colorspace at native white, set calibration target to native, choose single curve + matrix profile, make a profile without caibration (just by settigs all calibration target to native/as measured). Once calibrated just validate profile without simulation profile.
    All grey color issues or gamut volume irregularities will show up as high dC (grey) or dE errors.

Ali Emre Alici
    Participant

Thanks for reply. i1Studio work for me? What would you recommend me? I don’t have an unlimited budget for the spectrometer.

Vincent
    Participant

I think that i1Studio (color munki photo / design) is compatible with ArgyllCMS. Double check on Argyll mailist. It should.
    It will need ARgyll USB drivers for Window, so Xrite softwre won’t work. Read Argyll doc about how to switch from a driver to another if you want to use Xrite or Argyll. Switching is reasonably fast, just double check which driver is “default” if one app stops seening the spectro, maybe you forgot to switch:

https://www.argyllcms.com/doc/Installing_MSWindows.html

Then on DisplayCAL create a CCSS (spectral correction) for each phone at “high res mode” (3.3). Then measure with displaycAL & i1dispalypro and that CCSS.
    You can try to use i1Studio spectro fr readings but it may be very very slow. Also very dark readinsg won’t be  as good as i1displaypro. Best to use both if you own them.

Also remember to disable auto brightness on phone, or if it is not posible (just 5min max or something like that) put your finger on screen next to a corner while i1dispalypro is measuring to prevent dimming. If auto brightness kicks in, that measurement will not be good, because others where made at different setting. You’ll need to repeat from start…

Ali Emre Alici
    Participant

i1Studio Clorimeter or spectrometer? It is referred to as a spectrometer on some sites, but most sites have not mentioned it. Is there any other model you would recommend in this budget range? By the way, the main question I want to ask is which program will I use for this job on the phone. dispcalgui does not support android as I know it. How can we overcome this situation?

MW
    Participant

I’m sure Vincent is talking about to the i1Studio spectrometer. In DisplayCAL you can choose the web@localhost display, you will get a URL that you open in the phone. I personally use Firefox for Android.

Ali Emre Alici
    Participant

Vincent
    Participant

That was made with CalMAN which unless you had some compatible TV/monitor so it can actually update internal LUTs… it’s an expensive useless toy.
    For example no high res mode fro Xrite spectros, so all WLED PFS readings are off. Also no direct view of grey range as a single number.

I’ve explained in my first post how you can get data better than calman using DisplayCAL, vs ideal colorspaces and vs idealized display’s own colorspace.

HCFR (ArgyllCMS based) is somehow a “free” calman and it’s useful for TVs CMS. I’ll use DisplayCAL for reviews. I like to see a*b* axis errors in grey & range first.

PS: Calman like ArgyllCMS/DisplayCAL uses remote/web reading as MW said. Calman uses its own mobile app that needs to be installed on device and will send recieve commands from calman desktop app, DisplayCAL uses a browser (make sure that it is not color managed if you wish to test overall screen behavior) so no instalation is required.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by Vincent.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by Vincent.

Ali Emre Alici
    Participant

Thank you very much Vincent. I am grateful for your help. I just passed the i1Studio order. As you said, I will make Spectral measurement with i1Studio and create CSSS, then I will perform measurements with i1 display pro. Is there a software to calibrate the phones’ screens, ie apply icc profile?

Vincent
    Participant

Thank you very much Vincent. I am grateful for your help. I just passed the i1Studio order. As you said, I will make Spectral measurement with i1Studio and create CSSS, then I will perform measurements with i1 display pro. Is there a software to calibrate the phones’ screens, ie apply icc profile?

No, not globally, system wide.

Xrite has an app that can be used as photo viewer, Color true. It is compatible with i1Displaypro, i1pro2 and I supopse that i1Studio too….but it uses a few bundled corrections for i1d3 colorimeter and default 10nm readings for spectros.
    This app does not calibrate. Just reencode on the fly RGB values from a colorspace (srGB JPG) to phone screen colorspace (profiled by app and stored in a propietary format, like an ICC, but propietary).

Ali Emre Alici
    Participant

I think the first thing to do is Create Colorimeter Correction under the Tool tab. and here I’ll choose Spectral instead of Matrix as an option. Then I will upload the file I created under the import clorimeter correction tab. I will do all of these things with i1studio. (BTW has always mentioned the i1 display pro at these stages, but you said that you will not use it. I think there is no problem in this part.) In the next steps, I will make the measurements with i1 display pro and in the confirmation process, I will choose the “use simulation profile as display profile” option.

By the way, I always left the Correction tab in auto in my previous pc monitor reviews. Does this affect the results.

Thank you.

Ali Emre Alici
    Participant

I look forward to hearing from you

Vincent
    Participant

I think the first thing to do is Create Colorimeter Correction under the Tool tab. and here I’ll choose Spectral instead of Matrix as an option. Then I will upload the file I created under the import clorimeter correction tab. I will do all of these things with i1studio. (BTW has always mentioned the i1 display pro at these stages, but you said that you will not use it. I think there is no problem in this part.)

CCSS are made by spctrophotometer & display alone. No colorimeter needed in this stage.

In the next steps, I will make the measurements with i1 display pro and in the confirmation process, I will choose the “use simulation profile as display profile” option.

Remember: use dsiplay profile as simulation profile for testing out of the box sRGB/P3 modes.
    Another report evaluationg against a custom “profile only” matrix 1 curve profile to test if native gamut has issues.

Remember to enable in report 1st combo “RGB + gray balance” to spot a*b* range issues in grey (one grey slightly green another one slightly red, these errors are visible even if each one is ~OK against their reference targets)

By the way, I always left the Correction tab in auto in my previous pc monitor reviews. Does this affect the results.

Thank you.

They ar likely to be wrong. Choose the custom 3.3nm CCSS you made for each display.

Umaiza Beck
    Participant

subscribe

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS