[PG279Q] What is causing this delta difference?

Home Forums Help and Support [PG279Q] What is causing this delta difference?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

rehf
    Participant

I’ve been calibrating my PG279Q and for the life of me I cannot get an acceptable color distance once calibrated for a few specific swatches.

All the others verify as being good, but 2 in particular have quite large differences. Pretty much every other swatch has a distance of less than 1.00, but swatch 46 and 50 of the extended testchart are at a 2.55 and 3.64 respectively.

What could be causing this massive difference and how could I go about fixing it? I’ve tried different corrections, no corrections, different calibration settings/profiles and there’s always this large discrepancy for these 2 specific swatches.

See the attached for measurement report.

Thanks!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Lockjaw333
    Participant

I had a similar issue with the XB271HU, which has the same AOU panel. The two colors that had high DeltaE values for me were different (both shades of blue), but I believe they both have the same root cause. These panels are ~ 98% sRGB, so from what I understand the colors that seem to have a cap on how low their DeltaE values will go with calibration are likely slightly out of gamut for the display- meaning they cannot improve because the panel’s color gamut falls slightly short of including their “true” color.

Nothing you can really do, this is the best you’ll be able to get from calibration. The good news is, the actual color difference between how those two colors are being displayed and how they should be display is probably not that noticeable in practice.

Vincent
    Participant

@rehf , did you build that CCMX correction? did somebody make it for *your* display?
    If answers are “no”, do not use it, use a CCSS correction for that display, vendor common WLED correction or community like this:
    https://colorimetercorrections.displaycal.net/hash/93e1119cc017969931e6e4231bad13da/Asus%20ROG%20PG279Q%20%28i1%20Pro%29.ccss

rehf
    Participant

I had a similar issue with the XB271HU, which has the same AOU panel. The two colors that had high DeltaE values for me were different (both shades of blue), but I believe they both have the same root cause. These panels are ~ 98% sRGB, so from what I understand the colors that seem to have a cap on how low their DeltaE values will go with calibration are likely slightly out of gamut for the display- meaning they cannot improve because the panel’s color gamut falls slightly short of including their “true” color.

Nothing you can really do, this is the best you’ll be able to get from calibration. The good news is, the actual color difference between how those two colors are being displayed and how they should be display is probably not that noticeable in practice.

That’s unfortunate – I have an Aorus AD27QD (Innolux panel) next to me properly calibrated and unfortunately those shades look completely wrong on the PG279Q. A darker purple shows up as pink on the PG279Q and washes out detail. I also compared it with a PG278Q TN panel just to see how it was displaying and it was displaying it like Aorus.

Guess this is getting returned then! Thanks for the clarification though, I’m still fairly new to calibration/monitor tech so the detailed response is appreciated.

@rehf , did you build that CCMX correction? did somebody make it for *your* display?
    If answers are “no”, do not use it, use a CCSS correction for that display, vendor common WLED correction or community like this:
    https://colorimetercorrections.displaycal.net/hash/93e1119cc017969931e6e4231bad13da/Asus%20ROG%20PG279Q%20%28i1%20Pro%29.ccss

I did not know this – that profile was not made specifically for *my* monitor. I just assumed when I was searching for corrections within DisplayCAL any of them would work as they made for my monitor name. The only CCSS correction available for the PG279Q is a spectral one, I was under the impression these are only to be used with spectrometers? Would this be correct to use with my ColorMunki Display or in this case no correction would be needed.

Thanks for the heads up regardless

Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS